twenty seventh chapter

the moment rodrick had parked right by giselle's driveway, her heart was practically beating out of her chest, she was surprised it hadn't bursted onto the dashboard of the van.

he was absolutely worried for her, there was just something in her expression that screamed agitation and quite frankly, he couldn't seem to get her to talk. in fact, rodrick was a little afraid of asking since she did not let a single word out their entire ride back. he knew he had to say something, they were both quiet and giselle kept her head down as if she were thinking of every single thing going on in the world.

rodrick touched her shoulder in comfort, as he asked her what was wrong. his tone was careful like he was trying his best not to panic her more than she already was.

"i'm so sorry rodrick, but i really have to go." she replied back, grabbing her camera bag and instantly running out of the vehicle.

"giselle wai--" rodrick called out to her, only to be interrupted by the door slamming shut. sighing to himself, he switched the van on and decided to just drive off feeling dumbfounded and confused on what was happening.

giselle dashed up the front porch steps of her home, noticing that the living room lights were on meaning her parents were still watching the television.

she cursed under her breath, wishing she'd take note of the time before all of this happened. her day was going so perfectly well, it was way too good to be true.

she opened up the front door so fast, she was surprised it didn't come off it's hinges. the sudden sound caught her parents by surprised as they perked up at the sight of the door opening up.

"giselle?" her father spoke, staring at his disheveled daughter up and down. he looked concerned and giselle knew instantly that they were absolutely waiting for her arrival.

"anak, where have you been?" her mother asked, standing up from her position on the couch. "we were worried sick."

giselle sighed, dropping her camera bag to the floor in exhaustion. her anxiety was through the roof, she felt her legs giving out. "i am so sorry mama," she spoke up, pushing her tiredness to the side as she walked up to her mother and immediately engulfed her in an embrace.

"you need to be weary of the time, gigi." her father explained, sighing to himself. "we had dinner without you, you were taking forever."

giselle kept her head down, avoiding her parents' gaze. the disappointed look on their faces always made her tear up and the last thing she needed was to be vulnerable with them. "i'm sorry papa, i should have known better."

"where were you?" her mother asked and giselle swore she felt her heart drop.

but she remained calm as she answered. "i was actually taking some photographs, after work at the community service center of course.."

for a split moment, there was a hint of interest in her parents' eyes towards the bag filled with her equipment. giselle desperately wished they'd say something and ask her if that's was what this was all about.

but instead her mother stared at her for a few seconds before nodding her head. "i understand."

"alright sweetheart, we left some dinner for you in the kitchen if you get hungry." her father said, holding her mother's hand. "we're off to have some tea then bed."

giselle remained blank faced as she nodded her head in reply. "oh okay, thank you." was all she said, as they went upstairs.

••••••••••••••••••••

"rodrick! you're back home," susan heffley exclaimed, walking up to her son who had just entered from the front door. she had the brightest smile on her face making it obvious she'd been waiting for his arrival.

rodrick groaned, feeling a little embarrassed about the taunting look his mother was wearing. she was well aware her son had gone out with a girl and was a little excited to hear how it'd went. 

her constant questioning came after she caught him lounging around by the hallway mirror mumbling stuff to himself. he was dressed a bit more cleaner than his usual scruffy look that she normally dreaded and after a while, everything clicked to her that rodrick was trying to impress someone.

"mom stop," he huffed, plopping onto the living room couch, feeling tired and worried after giselle had ran off so unexpectedly. 

"okay okay i will," she giggled, sitting at the edge of rodrick's feet, still finding it hard to stop herself from smiling. "i just..i want to kno--"

"--come on mommm," he whined like a 5 year old, burying his face in a throw pillow.

susan heffley laughed at her son's reaction before getting up from her position, surrendering her hands up in the air. "alright fine! i'll stop..i'll stop!' she chuckled, walking out of the living room still wearing a goofy smile on her face.

rodrick sighed, feeling a little thankful he finally got to be by himself until the loud cries of his younger brother manny pervaded the room. "roddy!" he exclaimed, "tv on pwease," he coo'd pointing at the televison.

"manny you can do it yourself," he replied, keeping his eyes closed in hopes manny would just disappear.

"but im onwy thwee!" manny exclaimed.

rodrick groaned finally giving in. he might as well watch something to get his mind off what was supposed to be a perfect day.