forty third chapter

"you good, man?" bill questioned, staring at poor old rodrick who was curled up on the couch basement like a tired puppy.

the newest member stood by the mic stand, where he repeatedly chanted 'somebody farted' over and over again. the boys found it hilarious but after the continuous run of the joke, rodrick grew tired of it that he found himself curling up into a ball onto the couch.

"i'm good," rodrick replied, his voice sounding muffled as his face was pressed down. "don't mind me."

"—hey bill i want to try that shit again!" jerry interrupted, grabbing the mic from the man's grasp. "somebody farted," his voice echoed as he earned an annoyed glance from ben who was tuning his guitar and an exaggerated laugh from bill.

ben noticed that rodrick seemed a little out of it during rehearsals today, which was unusual for the boy considering they had finally gotten bill in the band. it had been their goal for god knows how long and he easily suspected that something was probably bothering his best friend for acting this way all of a sudden.

he approached rodrick by the couch and sat right by his legs, tapping him repeatedly to gain his attention. "what's the matter with you today?" ben questioned.

rodrick rolled over so that he could face his friend. "i don't know man, i'm kinda out of it today."

"and why is that?"

"cause i've been thinking," he answered. thinking was an understatement. these thoughts consumed him and he wanted to let it all out, release it out into the world would be his cliche way of explaining it.

"giselle?" ben chuckled, already getting what his best friend was on about.

rodrick's silence answered it all. ben knew how much rodrick was starting to fall for her and giselle was a nice girl, it wasn't hard to see why the boy had fallen so hard for her. "it's just these thoughts man, i..i don't know what to do."

"about her? or you?"

"i wanna let her know how i feel, but i don't know when's the right time to even say it." he explained, "she's perfect and i can't screw this up. i don't want to push her away."

ben scoffed, "come on man, stop that shit. you won't push her away. you just gotta let her know how you feel in your own time and way."

rodrick sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. "but how? i just can't think straight, damn it."

"i mean take time to think about it, i'm sure you'll think of something." ben advised, patting him on the shoulder like a little boy as he stood up and went back to where his guitar was.

rodrick pondered in thoughts once again, trying to dig deep in his head. i mean, he had to find a way. he knew there was something hidden in there somewhere as he tried his best to recollect his memory.

"but for the love of god rodrick, this is your chance. you're a musician. write something, honey. explore your emotions."

"holy shit" he whispered to himself as he frantically stood up and grabbed the random notebook on top of his drum stool. he rummaged through the basement tool drawers, looking for old pens they'd probably left in here a while back. luckily, his mother's old purple fountain pen still functioned well enough.

he took a deep breath as he felt the words begin to flow out of him naturally and onto the piece of paper.

"i admire you from a distance,

when i get close you fly away."

•••••••••••••••••

heyyy everyone! hope you all like this chapter!
happy to say i've got the ideas down for how this book will end and i'm so excited for you guys to see it unfold!

i hope you're all doing well.
also if ur wondering which song rodrick's writing.

you should definitely listen to housecall! (find them on spotify, apple music, soundcloud or deezer) they're such an underrated band and they make fantastic music, this book is literally named after one of their songs.

hint hint ;)

let me know how you guys are doing xx:))))