sixtieth chapter

"hello! earth to giselle!" quinn hollered, throwing a bunch of streamers towards the girl's face.

she'd been sat by the gym's bleachers for about forty five minutes; just staring into the distance without any sort of expression on her face. quinn was starting to worry for her friend after she was made aware that rodrick had decided to cut their friendship off.

"i'm sorry," giselle sighed, finally coming back to reality. "what did you want me to do again?"

quinn chuckled, shaking her head. "i was telling you to go home. your ride's here." she grinned remorsefully. giselle hated the look of pity, which was all she's been receiving from her two best friends.

a confused look made its way onto her face. "my ride?" she questioned. "i wasn't planning to go home."

"ben texted that he was coming to get you." quinn pointed out. "he's out by the parking lot so you better get going."

giselle's heart leaped, could this be about rodrick? did he say something about her to ben and that's why he's picked her up?

"but i promised to help you for decorating the dance." giselle remembered.

"and i'm setting you free because i know you're busy planning for the talent show as well." quinn chuckled. "so go and be free."

giselle grinned slightly, giving her best friend a quick hug before walking towards the gym's exit.

it was slightly windy today and the breeze had made her once neatly tied bun stick out in random places. she didn't mind, all she wanted was to distract herself from her thoughts. ever since giselle's last encounter with rodrick all she could remember were the last words he'd said to her.

your parents are right okay? loaded diper will be fine without me and so will you

"hey, you good?" ben's voice called to her, snapping her out of her thoughts. he had the front door window rolled down as he waved at her from the drivers seat.

giselle looked up at him and let out a grin. "yeah," she replied, entering the vehicle. "so what brings your special presence here?" she asked

ben shrugged, as he began to drive off. "zara said you've been quiet lately and i wanted to check up on you."

giselle pressed her lips together in a thin line as she gave him a genuine look. she did appreciate ben checking up on her like a good friend, although she did hope to hear about rodrick.

"i know it's tough and honestly he's going through something. he's a piece of shit sometimes." ben spoke up.

"it's alright, i get it." giselle answered. "thank you for being there for me. you're a good friend."

"thank you, i try to be at least." ben chuckled.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

"so your photography thing how's it going?" ben asked as he scooped up some of his vanilla ice cream.

they both had decided to go to the ice cream parlour to pass time as they waited for zara to finish from her ballet practice. according to ben, this was his daily friday schedule since he always picked her up.

giselle grinned, taking a moment to think for herself. "it's going alright, i have a bunch of photos printed but i left them in the loaded diper van a week ago." she sighed, thinking of the time rodrick went with her to pick them up. crazy how it feels so long ago. "i was meaning to take it back but i've been busy planning for the talent show and helping a bit for the dance."

"oh, i'm sorry for asking. i didn't mean to—" ben stammered.

"it's fine. it's not a big deal." giselle shrugged, taking a scoop of her ice cream and plopping it into her mouth.

she didn't know how to feel. in fact, maybe she was to blame. she knew to be careful from the start and not fall for him, but how could she not? he was so patient and kind with her. it was a losing game.

"i really do appreciate you taking me out," giselle grinned. "you're slowly easing in for my approval to be with zara."

ben laughed, holding a hand to his heart dramatically. "wow, i wasn't even in the running from the start?"

"whoops. but you're in now!" giselle exclaimed. "zara likes you so it doesn't matter what i think."

"but i love her," ben sighed, hopelessly.

giselle's eyes popped out of her sockets upon hearing his sudden revelation. "love?"

ben grinned. "why is that so shocking?"

"i mean you just sprung that shit out of nowhere on me. jesus christ." giselle chuckled. "does zara know yet?"

"god no, i'm scared to tell her."

"what? why?" giselle questioned. "i bet she feels the same. i can see it in her eyes."

"still doesn't change the fact that it's scary, i mean would you admit to rodrick that you actually like him back too?" ben smirked triumphantly.

giselle felt her cheeks heat up, as she covered her face in embarrassment. "god, i..i don't know what you're talking about." she stammered.

"you know exactly what i mean!" ben laughed. "you both like each other so much. it's gross."

"hey you're the one in love!" giselle retorted.

"i'm talking about you here, you even got rodrick making you sandwiches." ben chuckled, shaking his head.

giselle paused, thinking to herself. rodrick made her a sandwich? what? "a sandwich?" she questioned.

ben looked at her like she was clueless, which in fact she was. "yeah a sandwich. who do you think made you that picnic basket for your little photo shoot trip?" ben grinned. "he knew you liked nature outings, so he took you to our spot and asked zar to help him with a picnic basket."

if the wind could knock her off her feet. it would be this exact moment. how many little things did rodrick do that she hadn't even noticed? god how she wishes things were different and he didn't tell her to move on.

"i..i didn't know that." giselle admitted.

••••••••••••••
how are we all doin? 🥺