fifty eighth chapter

"put the vase on the coffee table in the living room dear," gramma adaline called out to giselle, who was laying comfortably on her sun lounger outside.

the young girl flipped over, pushing herself up from her position and walking back into the house. she loved her gramma's home, it was always so comfortable and bright.

it was small but was the most cosy house she's ever been in. it had old paintings on the wall that her grandparents had collected from their life in japan and plenty of photographs from when her father was still in his youth.

she liked that it was within a community of older folks in the nursing home and gramma adaline could easily find people she could relate to. she'd been lonely living alone in her father's childhood house after her grandpa passed away.

they were in love and it broke giselle to see her gramma all on her lonesome.

"ooou," giselle chorused, picking up the vase of tulips. "these are beautiful, gramma."

she smiled back at her granddaughter. "i'm glad you think so, sweet pea. you know your sofu he loved giving me tulips."

"he sure did, gramma." giselle grinned, as she placed it neatly onto the coffee table.

she walked back towards her grandmother who seemed to be admiring her attire for the day. she'd been wearing her denim shorts and partnered it up with her green bikini top. it was hot out in plainview and giselle was trying to catch a tan.

"you look cute today," gramma adaline told her. "like a model, pretty."

"gee gramma," giselle chuckled. "you light me up like that and i'll move out here with you."

"feel free, my gigi. i love having you around."

•••••••••••••••••••••••

giselle hadn't held a proper conversation with her parents in days. the events of the dinner had clearly left a strain in their relationships with one another and giselle didn't know how to approach the situation.

she needed an escape to think things through by herself and when her mother decided to send her to her gramma's at the nursing home. giselle was more than delighted to go.

in her mother's eyes sending her to the nursing home was a punishment but clearly she didn't know giselle too well.

all the girl wanted was to talk to rodrick but he'd disappeared on her.  it was ironic how back then, she was way too shy to even say a single word to him; and now all she could think of was telling him every detail about her day.

the last she heard from ben, he seemed too upset to speak and the only thing she got out of him was that rodrick wasn't performing for the talent show anymore.

giselle knew whatever happened back at the heffley's was serious.

she tried her best not to think much of it and enjoy the time she was spending alone, but it was hard. it was as if nothing could get it off her mind.

gramma adaline was living it up by the shuffle board area and she was eager to have gigi come down to watch instead of sulking in her room all day.

it took a lot of strength for giselle the house but she made it out either way. like she said, it was bright and hot today outside and she wanted to enjoy the weather.

she walked towards the shuffle board area, not really focusing on what was coming her way until she felt someone bump into her causing her to fall on her bum.

"oh," she winced, feeling the pain simmer in her area.

"giselle!" a high pitched voice exclaimed, immediately hugging onto her.

the girl froze, trying to identify whose voice that belonged to and as soon as her vision settled, she came face to face with none other than greg heffley.

she was shocked, she hadn't expected to see him here of all places. her heart began to raise at the thought that maybe rodrick was here too.

she just stared back at the young boy like a dazed idiot. she had no words coming out of her.

"giselle are you okay?" greg asked, geniunely sounding concerned.

the girl shook her head, reassuring that she was okay. she tried to look calm and collected but that all faded away when the older heffley appeared standing right behind greg.

rodrick looked just as surprised to see giselle here. both of them finding it hard to say something.

"i'll leave you two to talk," greg spoke up, walking away from the two teenagers.

they both remained awfully quiet, not knowing what to say to the other. giselle couldn't believe that she was actually here with rodrick of all places. she'd been picturing the moment she'd finally get a hold of him and now here he was.

"where've you been?" she asked.

the boy didn't look too pleased to see her if she was being quite honest. it made her feel off when he didn't have that usual bright smile on his face when he saw her.

"grounded," he snickered, trying to act like nothing happened. "but it's not a big deal."

"well..i've been trying to contact you..but you weren't returning my calls." giselle trailed off, feeling herself get shy the more she had to talk.

rodrick sighed, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "i know, i'm sorry.."

"what's going on? you've been so distant. you say it's not a big deal but with the way you—"

"—because it isn't, gi. it isn't a big deal."

giselle looked at him like she was hearing gibberish coming out of his mouth. "really? if it isn't a big deal why aren't you performing with loaded diper?"

"i told you. i'm grounded okay? my parents said no. so i'm quitting."

the girl had to do a double take upon hearing this new revelation. she would've never expected it from rodrick. "quitting? rodrick come on? forget the talent show, you'll have other gigs but you can't give up on loaded diper."

"what's the point giselle? i'm not good at anything alright! and i mess shit up every single time so it's better i just stay away okay?" rodrick explained, in a tone giselle had never heard him speak in before.

she was beyond confused at what was happening with them. "you don't mess shit up rodrick, you're great—"

"—giselle if you know any better, you'd stop hanging out with me, alright?"

no, she thought instantly. he can't be doing this right now. "rodrick.." she stammered. "you're not making sense."

"no i'm making perfect sense —"

"—no you're n..not." giselle stuttered. "you're doing this thing, where you're trying to get rid of me because you don't wanna get humiliated again. but i'm not going to make you feel that way rodrick, i know you and i know—"

"—stop it giselle." rodrick interrupted, closing his eyes at her words. "i mean it."

"no! i'm not gonna stop because i'm here for you, and i'm not letting you push me away! you're saying all this bullshit because you're upset. you don't mean it."

"i mean it, giselle. i got you in trouble and i'm not letting that happen again, your parents are right okay? loaded diper will be fine without me and so will you."

"rodrick.." she repeated his name in disbelief.

but all the boy did was look at her with no sense of expression in his face before walking away leaving her outside of the shuffle board area.

there it was, giselle thought. that heart shattering feeling she'd wanted to avoid in the first place.

••••••••••••••••
author's note!
hi hi!

this absolutely sucked 😭

and i'm sorry for delay with this new chapter! it's just been a hassle in my personal life and i travelled to a new country for uni :) so it's just been tough trying to adjust

i hope you are all well
and if you're still following up with the story, thank you from the bottom of my heart ❤️