twenty fourth chapter

"so sweetie, how is school going?" mrs. aoki asked her daughter, who had just walked into the kitchen.

giselle was tired, she'd been studying non-stop for their chemistry test this week and it's safe to say she felt her brain had been fried. the girls call it her superpower, she could study completely unbothered and manage to be okay for the test.

"oh, you know, it's been good mama." giselle answered, grabbing her mug from the cupboard. she was a little surprised to see her mother home so early, she worked for a publishing company and it kept her at the office quite late at times.

"that's lovely anak," her mother said, sipping on her coffee. "you want some pandesal?" she asked giselle who shook her head no.

"i'm still full up, i had a lot earlier." she replied.

there was a short silence between the mother and daughter, neither one not knowing what else to say to the other. giselle always felt this way with her parents, she didn't know what was the reason it had to be like this. growing up with asian parents, her mother being filipino and father being half japanese and american, talking about deeper things like emotions were always difficult. it felt almost robotic.

"i'm just going to head on up mama, i'm studying." giselle lied.

her mother nodded her head, "oh okay! sure, i'll see you back down for dinner."

luckily her enough, her excuse set her free and she was able to escape the awkward situation she put herself in.

gisele's bedroom had always been her safe space growing up and she filled it with everything that made her happy. she had a small bookcase filled with a bunch of novels that meant a lot to her and her walls were practically covered with different photographs of her and her friends.

she always felt it was nostalgic to look at and being the sentimental person she is, it was everything to her.

giselle plopped on her bed, sighing to herself in exhaustion as she reached for her cellular device. her eyes squinted at the recent notification she got, a little surprised at who had just sent her a DM.

INSTAGRAM DMS

rodrickdrums
heyy

giselleaoki
hiya 👋🏼

rodrickdrums
how r u doin

giselleaoki
good, thanks for asking
you?

rodrickdrums
well..i'm alright

giselleaoki
just alright?

rodrickdrums
i mean yeh,
my mom's been in a mood but that's normal

giselleaoki
damn why?

rodrickdrums
greg and i
we fight a lot
but it's eh

giselleaoki
oh..sorry abt that

rodrickdrums
no! it's cool!
don't swet it
umm..i'm walking on a thin line here
right?

giselleaoki
hmmm i guess
why? 👀

rodrickdrums
hows this for an apology...
you like taking pics
i know a nice place to show u

giselleaoki
is this a trick to have me kidnapped?
are u an axe murderer rodrick heffley!!!

rodrickdrums
god no!!!
hear me out
it's a nice little place with good scenery
u can take ur pretty photos

.......

i'll drive ya there when ur free?

........

maybe thursday ?

giselleaoki
pick me up at the community center? 😁
5:30pm?

rodrickdrums
holy shit
yes for sure

giselleaoki
😊

rodrickdrums
😁
seen