fifty third chapter

rodrick could hardly believe his life. it was almost surreal at times.

the girl of his dreams seemed to like him back, which was already a shock..and now she was at his house having dinner with his parents.

and another bizarre fact was that giselle's parents were here too.

he thought he was dreaming when he saw her at his doorstep with a petrified look on her face, she'd almost gone pale just standing there. rodrick knew giselle and her parents stood on opposite ends in life and the fact that their families happened to cross paths was the craziest thing to have ever occurred.

he couldn't even remember what happened next, his mother hugged giselle and the aoki's were just as shocked to hear that they knew of their daughter already.

rodrick wanted to run back into his room and hide from it all until greg's dumbass ruined his chances; when he publicly announced his older brother's presence in the room.

the moment giselle's parents stared him down, he felt like he melted right there on the spot, but he kept his cool; well at least he tried to.

rodrick reminded himself to just be calm as he shook giselle's father's hand and smiled politely at her mother. if he had just known he'd be meeting her parents today, he would've ditched the metallica band tee.

"you look dazed doofus," greg murmured, nudging his brother back to reality.

rodrick was lost in his thoughts recollecting the past hour that occurred, he completely forgot that they were already having dinner. the tension was awkward for the children, but the adults seemed to be getting on fine with their small talk on the table.

turns out, giselle's mother is the editor and chief of the newspaper where susan heffley writes her parenting columns. an even more reason for rodrick to freak out over the fact that this woman probably knows stories about him.

horrifying stories especially if they were told from his mother's point of view. 

"i'm not dazed, i haven't gotten high in like a week." rodrick whispered back, earning an eye roll from greg.

"what a charmer." greg replied

he looked back up at the table to see giselle who sat across from him with a similar embarrassed look on her face. they made eye contact and giselle flashed him a quick apologetic smile.

he grinned, nudging her foot gently under the table to reassure her that everything was okay.

"so susan, i'm assuming everything's ready for your new column," mr. aoki spoke up, his voice sounding very deep and husky. rodrick tensed up a little.

his mother smiled proudly, "of course, yes! analyn has been helping me greatly with the editing."

"all those late nights in the office surely paid off." mrs. aoki laughed.

"hard work at its finest," susan remarked.

mrs. aoki took a sip from her wine glass before tapping her fingers on the table. "so! susan now that i've met your family, your eldest son is the one with the music ambition right?"

oh fuck. rodrick thought.

greg giggled knowing this was about to get good.

"ah a music man!" mr. aoki joined in. "what instrument do you play, young man?"

rodrick kept silent trying to find the right words to say that he almost forgot he had to speak; until greg nudged his foot under the table.

"uh, sorry! i..i play the drums." he answered, putting on a smile that probably showed off how uncomfortable he was.