sixty second chapter

the day of the talent show and the dance were all happening in the same week; at a dangerously fast pace . giselle didn't expect how quick the days were flying by.

she was exhausted to say the least and had spent sleepless nights helping prepare the sponsorships for the talent show. luckily, she had rowley by her side who was more than helpful in lending a hand.

"you have your dress ready, right?" zara asked through the phone. giselle had just gotten home from the dry cleaners where she dropped off her dress for the dance.

"yes yes, i do. it's being cleaned as we speak." giselle chuckled. "the real question is are you ready?"

zara sighed, "i don't know, yes, i guess. i mean i've got ben as my date."

"no shit zar, he's your boyfriend." giselle giggled. "if he wasn't your date, then i'd be worried."

"he's been acting different lately, i don't know why but it worries me." zara explained, "i..i feel like there's something we want to say but i just can never find the right moment."

"to say that you love him?" giselle added, biting onto her lip as she waited for zara's response.

"what.." zara's voice trailed off. "i do..not."

"you are such a liar zara banes."

zara sighed and giselle can just imagine her burying her face in shame. "i am, aren't i?"

"you're just in love, zar. and i'm happy for you guys." giselle said. "sooner or later it's gonna come out."

"i just don't want anything to distract me from julliard. i've been practicing for weeks for my performance at the talent show and i don't wanna mess it up." she sighed once more.

"zara i will repeat this a billion times. you are perfect, amazing, talented and driven. nothing will ever stop you from your goals." giselle explained, "ben has pretty much supported you all the way. damn, he even picks you up every practice. i'm sure he just wants you to be you."

"damn gi," zara giggled. "now you're making me want to marry him."

"as long as you're happy."

the sound of the front door opening had distracted giselle from her conversation. she'd realised that her mother had gotten back from work and was looking distressed as she entered their home.

"i'll call you back okay?" giselle said, before dropping the phone call she had with zara.

she was still avoiding her mother at all costs. giselle didn't feel like talking to her and quite frankly, her mother didn't seem bothered.

she was just about to walk out when her mother's voice cut in.

"so you're still doing the silent treatment on me huh?" her mother snickered.

giselle shrugged, trying her best to ignore her.

"you can't avoid for me forever, gigi." she sighed. "i am your mother at the end of the day."

giselle was about to keep walking up the stairs when her mother continued on speaking.

"i still don't see why you're still this upset because of the heffley's." she stated, causing the girl to turn back at her.

giselle sighed, shaking her head. "mom it's not just about the heffley's."

"then what? what else is it huh?"

"you don't see me." she stated. "you never try to see things from my own view."

"what are you talking about, giselle?"

"what else do you think i enjoy apart from my academics and working at the centre?" she questioned, trying her best not. make her voice quiver.

her mother' rolled her eyes, putting a hand on her hip. "is this about photography again? i never said you couldn't do it! i'm just telling you, you'll never make it in such a business! it's the truth." she stated. "you know what your problem is, giselle?"

giselle tried her best to hold back her tears, bracing herself from what else was to come. she had noticed her father's presence by the living room. she was aware he was listening in on this conversation.

"you are too sensitive for life, and that's why you're like this."

her words stung. giselle felt it in every core of her body and she knew she'd remember that for the rest of her life.

"you know what mom?" giselle retorted. "at least susan heffley believes in her children. she didn't deserve to get judged by you like that because she's a good person... and so am i."