thirtieth chapter

the moment rodrick hit that final cymbal, a rush of sensation was coursing through his veins. there was nothing else that made him feel better than playing music with loaded diper, it was his everything.

the rest of his band mates let out a bunch of hollers and cheers as they wrapped up rehearsals. it felt nice to play the drums after an exhausting week of school. rodrick threw his drumsticks to the ground, pumping his fists up in the air in joy. he loved the way they sounded today, he felt like they needed this energy for when the talent show comes.

"that was fucking amazing guys!" ben exclaimed, removing his guitar from the amplifier.

rodrick scoffed, "amazing? LEGENDARY!"

"man if we got bill to join—we'd be unstoppable!" jerry, their bass player spoke up.

rodrick agreed 100%, he knew bill walters had that look and sound that loaded diper stood for. he just needed to catch him at the right time. "it's still a working progress guys, but it'll happen soon enough."

"better be," jerry said, packing up his bags. "i gotta dip now my dudes, i've got some work to deal with."  he always spoke with a certain tone to his voice. it made ben and rodrick think that he was high everyday, which might've been true.

ben snickered, "nerd. it's friday."

"oh whatever, you tell that to my failing calculus grade man!" jerry retorted.

"you're ruining our rep," ben stated, laughing at poor old jerry.

"suck a dick," jerry insulted in reply, flipping off ben as he walked out of the basement. "i'll see you guys tomorrow!"

and then there were two band members left..ben immediately plopped onto the couch, stretching his arms and yawning to himself. rodrick on the other hand was already preoccupied with his cellphone, a growing smile planting its way onto his face.

ben arched his brow as he stared at his best friend questioningly. as much as rodrick never took anything too seriously, ben was starting to become aware that perhaps his friend's crush on giselle wasn't just something that was going to pass.

i mean, ben knew he wasn't in the position to judge, considering he was head over heels for zara banes and spent most of his hours with her nowadays when rodrick used to be his go to hangout back then.

"so giselle huh?" he spoke up, catching rodrick's attention. "how's that going?"

rodrick grinned, shrugging him off. "it's going alright." he replied. "we're good friends."

"just friends?"

"yes," rodrick chuckled. "why?"

"have you guys been hanging out?"

"well just once," he answered, putting his phone down. "i haven't really gotten the courage to ask her again."

"i mean, if you want, you guys could join zara and i," ben suggested.

"are you crazy?" rodrick retorted, "giselle's going to think i'm taking her on a date or something!"

"i mean you like her! don't you not?" ben questioned. "you keep acting like you showing her that you like her is so wrong."

"i just don't want to rub her off the wrong way, you know." rodrick sighed. "i'm just worried it'll scare her away."

and instantly it hit ben why rodrick was acting this way.

he nodded, remembering where rodrick's worries came from. it was a complicated story and he was there for his best friend through it all.

heather hills.

she was the only other girl rodrick genuinely fell for. it was a one sided thing and it became clear to him, when rodrick noticed how she'd publicly humiliate him each time he tried to get to know her or tried to show her how much he liked her. it was an embarrassing experience for the poor boy and as much as he wasn't going to admit it.

ben knew it's why he probably didn't want to rub giselle the wrong way.

"okay fine," ben said, "change of topic, let's go out this weekend. just us."

"i cant," rodrick groaned. "we're supposed to go to this stupid water park, rockin rapids, me and the little twerp in one car for hours. how great."

ben laughed shaking his heat at his friend. "pray for a miracle."

"i'd throw a party if i had the chance."

"maybe you will."

-------------------------------

hey everyone!

i'm aware rodrick and heather don't interact until the next film but for the sake of this being fanfiction, it is what it is. hope you guys understand :)

i hope you're all well!

take care and stay safe out there xx