Chapter 27: I'm Not Lying

Epona's POV:

I gulped. There was no breaking eye contact at this point. I couldn't tell him. I don't want to cause more trouble over something small and stupid. So, I took my free hand and put it behind my back slightly, and crossed my fingers.

"No one did anything. I promise." I felt bad lying straight to Draco's face, but it's not like he seemed to believe me anyways.

So I pulled my arm away and quickly changed the subject. Kind of, "Also, are you and the rest of the Slytherins picking on Phineas because of me?" I felt waves of guilt flood over me as I awaited an answer.

Then, a hand was on my shoulder, "Princess, please. We don't like you just as much as we don't like the Golden Trio. So don't turn on us because our new plaything is your boyfriend. Because it's not about you." 

Blaise and Pansy grinned at me. And Draco had just stood there, that look still on his face. He was silent. Then scoffed and pushed past me.

"whatever..." I heard him mutter from under his breath and him and his friends walked away. 

I took a deep breath. I really don't like lying to people. Or really just to Draco. I've lied plenty of times before and felt nothing, but with him it felt....different. I don't know how else to explain it.

Next thing I know, it's Tuesday morning. I got myself dressed and went out for a stroll around the halls, seeing as I wasn't breaking curfew. And I ran into none other than Cedric Diggory.

"Oh, hey Cedric." I smiled, and he did too.

"Hey, Effie."

I walked beside him.

"Are you excited for the first task?"I asked, nudging him playfully.

He tugged at his collar nervously, "I don't think excited is the word I would use." He chuckled, "Maybe nervous."

"I think you'll do just fine." I smiled at him, and he smiled back.

Then he turned to me and said, "Oh, someone was looking for you. Tall Ravenclaw guy."

"Short hair or long hair?"

"Short." 

My breath hitched, and my body froze, "Was he mad?"

Cedric shook his head no, then smiled, "Nope. He had flowers."

The thought made my worry go away and I smiled, my cheeks pink, "That's awfully nice of him."

Cedric just grinned, "Nice? That's just normal boyfriend stuff. Gotta show the person you love that you love 'em."

Love....I hadn't even thought about that before.

"I-I guess so."

"You'll get used to it. Right now, I wouldn't worry. You're still young." He laughed.

I smirked and punched his arm playfully, "What are you now? A grandpa? You're only three years ahead of me."

He then clutched his back, pretending to be in pain, and in a raspy voice said, "Enjoy your youth while you have it, kiddo!"

We both started laughing. I liked Cedric. I think Harry does too. But Harry's in a weird place right now. I don't know from experience, but I can imagine what it feels like to have your best friend ignore you while your off to face death.

Can't be fun. 

I said my goodbyes to Cedric and made my way back to the dorms. He probably needed to get ready anyways, and I don't want to be a distraction. Plus, I need to get better dressed. We'll probably be outside, since it wouldn't be the smartest idea to have dragons inside. And it's late November, so no doubt it'll be cold. Especially since Hogwarts is on a, oh I don't know, a cliff.