Chapter 83: I Want You

Effie was walking through the halls with August and Dorian when she heard it. Cassia had run up to them, a panicked look on her face, "Guys! Neville Longbottom just punched Draco in the face!"

Effie's eyes widened and she had started running towards the sounds of kids. She knew Neville. She considered him a dear friend. And she knew Draco. He didn't take kindly to people beating him up.

She knew she had to stop this. Her feet skidded to a stop after she shoved through the crowd of yelling kids. Neville was on top of Draco, his fist raised for another punch.

"Neville! Stop!" She yelled at him, running towards him and grabbing his hand.

His head turned to look at her, and she could see the utter fear and anger in his eyes. She had never seen anything like it from the usually pssive boy before.

He opened his mouth, "Mungos...no...not there..."

His words were slurred and weren't coherent. But
she knew exactly what he was talking about. He had told her about his parents and what had happened to them.

Once she had helped him off of Draco she turned to him, the fury once again ignited in her, "Draco, what the fuck did you say!"

He gave her an outraged look, "He attacked me! Why does it matter what I said?"

"Because you provoked him, you asshole! Don't you have any regard for anyone else's feelings?" She yelled, holding Neville a little to close for comfort for Draco.

Despite the feeling of his nails digging into his palms he sighed, "I'm sorry that I said what I did. I shouldn't have said it."

There were whispers all throughout the crowd:

"Did Malfoy just apologize to Longbottom?"

"He's really turned soft, hasn't he?"

"What kind of man gets punched in the face and then apologizes? Pussy."

"It's her. She's making him soft."

"Sh! She'll hear you. Next thing you know, it'll be you she's burning."

Effie smiled softly at Draco, ignoring all the whispers. She was used to them anyways. He shifted uncomfortably and then scoffed.

"Just don't try that shit again, okay? You're lucky Epona likes you," He spat at a still dazed Neville.

Effie felt her jaw clench at his words. She knew he wouldn't swallow his pride. He couldn't, it just wasn't in his blood.

Maybe one day he'll realize that their words don't matter. That reputation doesn't matter. But they're only fifteen.

Merlin knows Effie still struggles too.

She walked away with Neville. She had decided that she would talk to Draco later.

Part of her had realized that ever since last summer he had been on edge. He'd been quicker to anger and would lash out at everyone. Just not yet at her. She tried talking to him about it but he would just kiss her and tell her everythings okay.

That's not what she wanted to hear- she was too smart to believe it.

After she knew Neville was okay and in his dorm, she went back to her own common room, where she saw a figure sitting in the dark.

She smirked, "Are we going through our MCR phase now?"

Her attempt at lightening the mood had failed, and Draco just looked up at her, his hair falling messily in his face.

"Love, come sit," He told her, and she followed his order, confused. She sat down next to him, and he pulled her on top of him, tracing his hand down her face, "I want you to do something for me."

She smiled, making eye contact. God, his grey eyes made her melt, "Anything."

"I want you to have dinner with my family this summer."