Chapter 29: You Know This Stuff, Right?

Epona's POV:

Everyone seemed very cold, meanwhile, I was my own personal heater. Nobody really seemed to like the cold, except for Draco, who hadn't seemed to modify his uniform at all for the cold December weather. 

We were outside helping Hagrid try and get the skrewts, and they accomplished it with nine, despite the cuts and burns they were getting. Then there was the last one.

"Don' frighten him, now!" Hagrid yelled as Harry and Ron were shooting fire sparks at the creature. I yawned and sighed. Then Rita Skeeter said something annoying about this being fun, and I was just about done trying to watch three men get this skrewt. Because they obviously didn't see that what they were doing wasn't working.

A kneeled on the ground, and stuck out my hand, like what you do when introducing yourself to a new puppy, "It's okay, Tiger. I'm not gonna hurt you." I smiled.

"Effie, what ar' yeh doin' now-" Hagrid started, but stopped.

The skrewt stopped hissing and shooting fire, and instead just looked at me. Or at least I think it was looking at me, but I wasn't quite sure, seeing as they lack eyes. 

"That's right. I'll give you some nice livers if you be a good skrewt now." It yipped a bit, and I picked it up, keeping it warm by moderating the small fire on my hand. 

Everyone who was outside looked at me, astonished. Hagrid beamed at me, his grin very large as I put the skrewt, who I've named Tiger, back into his enclosure. 

"Look at that!" Hagrid slapped his hand on my back, and I caught myself from falling forwards.

Blah Blah blah, Rita Skeeter came up wanting to interview Hagrid, and I walked away. I told the trio that I would see them later. I had something I wanted to do.

I heard Cedric was in a relationship. I...I want to know what it's supposed to be like. 

I made my through the halls, looking for Cedric. Once I found him, I waved him over to me. He still looked happy as ever.

"Hey, Effie. What's up?" He greeted.

"Hi, Cedric. Real quick I wanted to congratulate you on your first task. That was awesome!" I pumped my fist in the air and he smiled.

"Thanks."

"And um...I want some...advice I guess." I started and he said go for it, so I continued, "When your in a relationship do you, uh, ignore them when they make you made and only talk to them once they say sorry?" 

Cedric's eyes widened, "Goodness, no. I think you should always talk about whatever your having a disagreement about. Mad or not, it's not a stable relationship if you don't communicate with one another."

"Oh. And um, do you tell the other person in the relationship they're lucky to be with you? And like, um, say they're lucky you don't hit them."

Concern grew on Cedric's face, "Effie, are you okay? Is this happening to you-"

I cut him off, "No, no! I'm just asking....for a friend." I forced a smile.

The worry never left his face, "The situation you just said is not in any way healthy. You never tell your girlfriend or boyfriend that they're lucky to be with you or say that they're lucky you don't  hit them. You shouldn't hit anyone, period. That's abuse. Everything you just said there is a form of abuse, Effie. I would suggest helping your friend out of that situation. It's hard to do it on your own, so have people help you. Let people in." 

He gave me another worried glance, and I forced a bigger smile, "I'll tell her right away! Again, congrats on completing your task! I gotta go! Bye!" 

I sped away before he could say anything else. Maybe he was right. Maybe I should try and leave. But I don't want to disappoint anyone, or hurt Phineas's feelings. That would be wrong of me. I'm already a big enough jerk as is. I don't wanna hurt anyone else.

The next day Professor McGonagall told us about the Yule Ball. I was excited. I had never been to a party before;much less a ball. I couldn't help but be excited. The teachers even gave me permission to make my own dress, and others if they wanted. Tingles shot through my body as I already started sketching designs in my notebook. 

Maybe Draco would let me make him a suit. That would be so fun! Draco's body type and face shape and everything is just perfect for a suit. It had to have green accents, of course. Green also just fit nicely with his cool skin tone. 

Ideas flowed through my veins. Maybe I could make Phineas something too. I bet he'll be excited about that. I was so trapped in my thoughts I had completely forgotten that I was walking in the hallways.

"We keep ending up like this, don't we?" Draco smirked and looked down at me. I felt my face flush red as I quickly took my hands off of his chest and regained my balance.

I was glowing with excitement, and I think he could tell. It was the first time he had looked at me without sadness in his facial expression, "Draco! I'm so excited for this Mule Ball!"

He snickered, "Yule." He corrected me.

I waved my hand, "Yeah Yeah that! I have so many ideas for dresses and suits and... It's like I need to sketch these down. And make them. It'll be perfect!" 

He laughed and smiled, "I bet it will be if it's made by you."

Pink tinted my cheeks from the compliment, "You're just being nice. But thank you."

"I'm not. It's the truth. Everything you make turns out fantastic." He had grabbed my hand, and I smiled.

Someone cleared their throat next to us and I moved my hand away from his. I examined the person for a minute, somehow completely forgetting who they were in the spur of the moment.

Then I gasped, "Phineas! Right on time! I'm so happy! I need to get to the Ravenclaw common room to start working on clothing for the Yule," I winked at Draco, "Ball! Let's go!"

I grabbed his hand and started walking but he didn't budge, instead he said, "Malfoy, if you would excuse us. I need to talk to my girlfriend in private."

Draco again scowled at Phineas, scoffing and walking away. He had muttered something under his breath, but I couldn't hear it. I doubted it was anything nice. Though, it hadn't dimmed my day.

"Sweetheart, look. I'm sorry, but I already have a dress picked out for you." 

I felt every bit of excitement drain from my body, "B-But..."

He gave me a sad look, "I know you were excited about this, but there's a strict dress code. And, I would really love it if you wore the dress I got you."

I nodded my head unconsciously. I guess he was right. Plus, as long as it would make him happy, right? I forced a smile onto my face.

"That's okay. I wasn't that excited." 

He put his hand on my head and smiled, "Good. Maybe if you want you could make some stuff for other people though. But I doubt they would want it."

And with that he walked away. 

Warning: Strong Suggestive Themes 

He was right, as usual. Why would anyone want my shitty clothing? They probably only wore the uniforms because they felt pity for me. I walked to my dorm room and closed the curtain. I was nothing but a useless kid who should've stayed in that coma. That's what everyone wants anyways. I felt tears pour down my cheeks.

I was too much of a horrible person for anyone to like me. I'm just in this stupid dark place, and I'm dragging everyone down with me. Then, there was the glint of something sharp on my nightstand. It was the first scrap I had ever tried to mess with, and I had cut my hand by mistake. I keep it with me to remind me to be more careful.

I grabbed it, the cool metal against my skin made me shiver. I took a deep breath through my tears, and rolled up my sleeve.

I pressed the pointed sharp edge against my skin.

It's only fair that I feel it too....