Chapter 60: I'm Not Soft

Epona's POV:

I walked through the door to the less popular pub with the Golden Trio, moving one of my french braids back behind my shoulder. I decided to go for a new hairstyle and I quite like it. What I didn't like was lying to Draco about where I'm going. I just told him I was going out with Harry and Ron and Hermione for a homework club since Ron and Harry struggle with that. As soon as I said it I knew he knew that I was lying.

Not because I'm bad at lying; but because Draco Malfoy isn't stupid. Despite being a privileged full of himself arrogant dick weed that I love, that doesn't mean he's dumb. In fact, when he was little as soon as he could count, read and speak, his parents got him tutors in every subject and magical subject there is. He was trained to be powerful, even if he didn't care, he grew up being told that he's better than everyone else, that he's supposed to be powerful.

That he's a disappointment if he messes up.

I don't think so. The only reason I'm even partially as intelligent as I am is because I fucked up. That's how you learn. You shouldn't be punished for mistakes, but have them shown to you and nurture that mistake and teach it what to do differently.

It's like how the first time I sewed something I cut open my finger, and theres still a scar there. I learned to be more careful. Draco never had someone to tell him that it's okay to mess up.

Which makes me feel even more guilty that I'm lying to him. But he lies to me sometimes, so it's fair. Besides, he wouldn't approve of what we're doing anyways.

Harry asked Hermione how many people were coming, and she responded with just a few. That felt reassuring. I don't know if I could handle the pressure of so many people watching me. Especially if what the woman says is true. 

Not many kids in the school like me. 

For a number of reasons. The first one, I'm a pyromancer. Pyromancers aren't exactly common, not to mention they don't really get a good rap. In fact, it's a pretty bad rap. Pyromancers tend to abuse their power. It's also not really a good look that I enjoyed lighting my ex on fire.

The second reason, I'm a Slytherin and somehow wiggled my way into being a Prefect. Sure, not many Slytherins have a problem with this, but kids of other houses do. Most even say I bribed my way in through manipulating Draco Malfoy himself. Though those rumors were spread by Hufflepuff girls who've been swooning over the rich boy since he came to Hogwarts and they never got any attention. 

Third, well, I literally look like the villain of a superhero movie. I'm that cliche bad guy who wants to fuck up the world one way or another. Some could even say I want to watch the world burn; now don't get me wrong, that would be pretty lit....Okay I'll stop with the fire puns. But in all seriousness, I do think the world would be prettier if it was lit ablaze. 

Hermione and Ginny told me that I might be the bad guy in the beginning, but I have a change of heart, or I was just sympathetic in the first place and I join the heroes and they turn me into a better person. It was reassuring to know that not everyone thinks I'm a total monster.

Oh, I almost forgot the last reason. I'm dating the infamous Draco Malfoy. Every other house hates me because of it. It was bad enough I was Harry Potters reject sister who was sent to Slytherin, but I'm dating the worst of them all. And it might also be the fact that I'm attracted to him because he's a jerk and it'd be hot if he were a jerk to me in certain situations- I'm going to stop myself there. Back to my point. To sum it up, if Draco Malfoy is evil, his girlfriend has to be as well.

I felt my heart stop when like twenty five kids walked into the bar. I think I actually spit my butterbeer when Fred and George made the order. Harry hissed something at Hermione, and she just smiled nervously.

"Hi, Harry." Neville greeted, "Hi, Effie." 

My eyes widened, remembering something, "Oh! Neville!"

He turned around, seeming a bit spooked, "Y-Yes?"

"I heard your top of the class in Herbology. Would you mind tutoring me? I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, and it'd be great if I had help from an expert." I smiled, and his eyes lit up, his cheeks tinted pink.

"O-Of course! I-I don't have your number though-" He started and I handed him a sheet of paper.

"Now you do." I winked, and he went to his seat holding the paper with my number on it.

I leaned against the wall behind Harry, and peoples eyes shifted between the Golden Trio and I. Hermione started her speech, and she got more confident as she went on. I kept my face neutral, despite the urge to smile and put my arm around Hermione's shoulder and yell, 'Let's get this party fucking started.' It took a lot of will power to not do that.

After all, I am the bad cop. The girl partnered with Draco Malfoy in the what was more commonly known as The Anti-Golden Trio. Even if I'm liked more than Pansy and Draco, I'm not the one they're here for. But I'm the balance between the Trio's. I'm friends with The Golden Trio, and my brother is in it, and I'm part of The Anti-Golden Trio, keeping them from completely destroying kids lives.

When Hermione was done talking, a girl with frizzy red hair opened her mouth and spoke, "What is she doing here?" 

I felt the girls gaze on me, and I yawned. Is that supposed to bother me? Harry stood up, slightly glaring at the girl, and he spoke.

"Because Effie is just as powerful as I am. Last year would've been a lot different if she hadn't been there." Harry looked at the girl as he spoke.

She scoffed, "But she's literally dating Malfoy! She's burned people, and let's face it, she's not that powerful."

"Look, girly, if you have a problem with me, say it to my face. I'd love to see you come at me one on one if you really think you're that much better than me." I turned my head to her quickly, and her body tensed, "And just so you know, I am not my boyfriend. Anyone else have something they want to say to me before we get started?"

The girl shrunk down in her seat and  nobody else made a peep, except for Luna, who smiled at me and had done a small laugh at the girl.

I nodded to Harry, "Sorry, Harry. Continue."

Harry smiled, then turned back to the crowd of kids, and tried to start his speech. Of course, most of them interrupted, and started asking both of us questions, which made me confused. I put my hand on Harry's shoulder to stop him from getting too angry at a Hufflepuff boy, and people made comments about the things, mostly Harry, and I had done. 

Then when it came to deciding the place to meet, that's when I spoke up.

"What about the Room of Requirement?" I said, and all eyes turned on me.

"The what?" Ron asked, and I shrugged.

"It's a room that travels around Hogwarts and only opens it's doors to people who need to use it." I spoke so nonchalantly, and the Hufflepuff in the back spoke up.

"How do you know what it is?"

I smirked, "I've been using it to work out. What, you think I look this good with no effort? I wish."

Hermione smiled, "I think that's a great idea. Does everyone agree on that?"

There were murmurs of agreement, and the meeting finished with everyone signing their names on Hermiones list. Ron started freaking out about Ginny's new boyfriend, and the fact that she was no longer chasing Harry. At least from what they think. 

Sneaky little redhead.

Too bad Harry is still into Cho. Not that I don't like Cho, it's just that Ginny and Harry would be cute together.

I grinned as Harry's face turned red when talking about Cho, and I shook my head, swinging my bag over my shoulder, walking away. I was on my way back to Hogwarts when I felt my feet get lifted off the ground and I was spun into a position that feels all too familiar.

I smirked. 

"We keep getting ourselves in this situation, don't we Malfoy?"