11. Best thing i never had

"I wanted you bad
I'm so through with that
'Cause honestly you turned out to be the
Best thing I never had
You turned out to be the
Best thing I never had
And I'm gon' always be the best thing you never had"

~yonce

Kennedy banks pov
Saturday 8/13

"Okay Kennedy you got this , you look good , you smell better , your edges laid , your skin moisturized , let's do it ! " I mumble as I attempt to boost myself up in the mirror

"Okay Kennedy you got this , you look good , you smell better , your edges laid , your skin moisturized , let's do it ! " I mumble as I attempt to boost myself up in the mirror .

It's finally Saturday and I've been dreading this day to come up . I love Vons family and maw does know how to cook but I know it's going to be awkward .

As soon as the Von questions come up and the pity party starts I know I'm going to break down into tears and ruin everyone's night . Or when they talk about his children or even Asian I'm going to either blow up or burst into all types of emotions .

I hate that my anxiety is getting the best of me just like last time but at least Von was here before to calm me down . He also defended and made me feel comfortable when we arrived , but now that he's not with me .. this can turm out bad .

Then again all of this could just be in my head . Just like last year I went I was so nervous and it didn't even turn out bad . Maybe if I just turn on confident Kennedy and leave worrisome Kennedy at the house then it will be okay .

"You don't need no man to back you up girl , you got this " I smile to myself . I apply a little more lipgloss and purse my lips at my reflection. "Period girlll!"

"Do you always talk to yaself?"

I jump back hearing a voice and look over to see Clarence standing in the door way . "Clare how the hell did you get in here ?" I pant holding my chest while he laughs .

"Your mother let me in " he smiles and bends down to hug me and plants a kiss on my lips .

"Well I'm really happy to see you but I'm going to a cookout remember ?" I remind him , trying to get him out the door before he starts asking questions that I can't make up lies to .

"Yes I remember , you left ya sneakers in the car so I was just bringing em to you love " he tells me holding out the foot locker bag . I smile a little and take it from his hand

"Thank you " I nod

"Yeah have fun today Imma miss you " he smiles

"I will , and I'll miss you to , tomorrow we can hang out okay ?"I tell him then kiss him goodbye

"Cool " he grins and starts to walk out the door . "Oh Kennedy " he stops "ya moms not going ?" He ask

"Uhhhmmmm " I look to the side "nah she not feeling good " I lie

"Oh alright " he looks at my body language awkwardly then shrugs and walks off .

I wait until I hear the door shut then loook in the mirror and sigh . "Good save girl "

I finish up my appearance by adding my shoes and walk out into the living room where my mother is sitting .

"Well hello ms fast girl " she greets me and I roll my eyes .

"Don't start ms banks " I point and she laughs .

"That was a nice looking young man " she smirks

"I know right "

"Mhm " she mumbles "third one I den seen this week "

I gasp and snap my neck at her "ma ! "

"What ? " she laughs "I'm just saying "

"You calling me a hoe ? " I ask and she holds her hands up in surrender.

"No im just saying you moving kinda fast Kennedy " she says and I shake my head

"It's not even like that " I shrug . It's definitely like that .

"Well whatever it's like I don't want all these lil boys coming in and out my house " she points I chuckle a little and shake my head .

"Okay ma I hear you "I nod "I'm about to go though "

"Be in before eleven " she says . I grab my purse and begin to head out the door . "And Kennedy ?" She says I turn around and give her my full attention "chasing around all these little boys not gone help you get over Dayvon "

I pause and look at her feeling the sorrow replace the excitement in my body . "I'm over him " I mumble . She looks at me with sadness in her eyes and I look away and walk out the door to my car . I hate when she brings him up !

Everytime one person says something about him all the memories of him flood back and my emotions go completely sensitive .

It's already been a year and I keep telling myself that I'm over him , that he can just be happy with asian and I don't need him anymore , but then someone brings him up or he pops up in my dream and all my progress disappears .

He made me so happy for a long time and it's hard for me to just up and forget him like nothing ever happened . I expierenced so much with him and now I feel like I'm in an endless cycle of flashbacks from our relationships popping up everywhere.

Just like me going to this dinner . It's going to remind me of how much fun we had on the way to o'block last time . Or how he gave me one of the best kisses to calm me down , then walked me inside the house , not leaving my side until I settled down and got calm .

No matter how I feel about him now , he was a great boyfriend. I felt protected with him and I felt loved . He brought me joy , gave me everything I asked for and had so many big plans for us .

I'm not about to say I miss him because I obviously dodged a bullet . Two kids , ghetto ass baby mommas , and anger problems. Who wanted to be in a relationship with that ? Not me !

I'm actually glad I left . It's so much more I have to do in life before I settle down . And to be honest , He's most likely not even my soulmate.

I snap out of my thoughts and pull up in front of Vons grandmas house then do a quick pep talk before I walk towards the door .

I sigh loudly and give it a light knock "give me strength " I mumble

The door swings open and I gulp the knot in my throat down . "Ooouuu yall Kennedy's here !"