CHAPTER 39 - ❝he should invest in better bullets❞

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE“HE SHOULD INVEST IN BETTER BULLETS”

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE
“HE SHOULD INVEST IN
BETTER BULLETS”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

Me—hurrying to my brother’s room—only made me realise that I was going there without a key, and that the one I had in my hand from the one Diablo came into my room with wasn’t the same key to open the same door where Antonio was.

I knock on his door as softly as he can, hoping that he can hear it, and luckily I didn’t have to knock again because I saw his shadow underneath the doorframe.

“Antonio, it’s me.” I whisper.

“Scarlett… how—”

“There’s no time, Antonio. I have to get the keys… but when I come back, be ready to follow me.”

“Scarlett, no. I will not let you risk your life for me. You should leave here and get the Castiglione brothers.” He whispers back.

“I am not leaving without you.”

I didn’t wait for his reply because I already made my way to the staircase. I know very well that I was risking my life searching for the damn keys but I needed to find it.

I am not leaving without my brother.

I am not leaving him to die again.

I was crouched on the staircase, looking at my surroundings on the first floor when I see a group of Vincent’s men standing in a group around each other, talking and oblivious to the fact that I was on the verge of escaping.

All of them were armed and dangerous.

I didn’t have a choice but to come back with the boys on my side because I will not be able to fight them all alone.

I stalk back up the stairs, to my brother’s room and feel a wave of dread wash over me just thinking about leaving him here, but I have to if it would mean that the two of us get out of here alive.

“Antonio… you were right… I have to get back-up first. I can’t do this by myself.” I admit, feeling guilt wash over me.

“You can do this, Scarlett. Just… just be careful.” He says through the door and just by listening to his tone, I could tell that he was worried about me.

“I-I don’t know if I can, Antonio… I can’t leave you behind, not again.” I tell him, feeling the tears threatening to fall.

“Scarlett, you’re the strongest person I know.” My brother says, his voice soft and honest. “I know you can do this. Just don’t be afraid.”

I swallow back the tears and nod at the door although he can’t even see me. “Okay… but until I come back, be safe, big brother. Don’t die on me again or I’ll kill you myself the next—”