CHAPTER 30 - ❝one-day surprise❞

CHAPTER THIRTY“ONE-DAY SURPRISED”

CHAPTER THIRTY
“ONE-DAY SURPRISED”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

Vito was seated in the recliner seat, playing on his phone when I entered the living room with my tote bag slung around my shoulder. Wolff picked me up from school today.

It seems like Giovanni took my advice to let his shoulder rest a little bit.

“Ah, you’re home.” Vito smiles.

I nod slowly, making my way to the couch beside the recliner before plopping myself down onto it. My tote bag was on the floor beside my feet.

“Where’s Giovanni? I hope he’s resting that shoulder of his.”

“He’s upstairs doing some paperwork.” Vito says, placing his locked phone onto his thigh. He uses his fingers to toy with the ring on his finger. “And yes, he did rest his shoulder today. He started working an hour before you came home, the rest of the time he rested his shoulder.”

I nod at him. “That’s good.” I tell him. “His shoulder has healed fairly well the past few days.”

Vito chuckles and runs his fingers through his black hair. “Like he said before, it wasn’t his first rodeo. The first time he was shot, he didn’t heal for quite some time, but that’s only because he wanted to exceed his own limits. He kept tearing his stitches and he never really properly healed. He still has a few scars here and there.”

“That’s Giovanni for you.” I shake my head. “But what exactly is he doing? What paperwork if I may ask.”

“We’re busy repairing the bakery the White Pistols torn down.” He says. “He’s trying to figure out what we want to do with the place now that we can start from scratch seeing that there was absolutely nothing left to save.”

Damn White Pistols.

“Ah, I see.”

“Yeah.” Vito replies, his voice was barely above a whisper.

“What’s bothering you, Vito?” I ask him, turning on the couch so that I could look at him better. “You have not been yourself for quite some time now.”

He looks at me. His eyebrows were knit together in confusion like my question caught him off guard. I don’t think anyone ever asked him if he was okay before. “What?”

“Come on, Vito.” I nudge his foot with mine. “I know you better than that. I know there’s something wrong. Tell me. I want to help you.”

“There’s nothing wrong.” He says. “I’m okay.” He gets up from the couch and walks out of the living room without another glance my way.

I sigh loudly and shake my head before getting up from the couch too.

I wanted to take a quick shower before dinner tonight.