CHAPTER 04 - ❝an escape plan❞

CHAPTER FOUR │ AN ESCAPE PLAN

SCARLETT DEL GATO

Nothing made sense.

I made peace with the fact that my brother was part of the Mafia and I made peace with the fact that he worked with the Castigliones, out all people, but something that definitely didn’t make sense to me is why my brother would betray Giovanni if they were such great friends like Vito mentioned before.

I can’t think of a reason why my brother would send Giovanni to jail if they were such close friends. I don’t know what happened between the two of them, but all I could think about was this: my brother wasn’t so innocent in all of this.

He did, in fact, lie to me for years. All those late nights when he was gone and Eden had to keep me company was because he was with them, with Giovanni.

I didn’t know Antonio was mixed up in dangerous things. I also didn’t know he was part of the Mafia or that he was working with the Castigliones. Hell, I didn’t even know that he was friends with a guy like Giovanni Castiglione.

He kept it from me for years.

Every time I kept asking him where he disappeared off to during the day, he didn’t answer me, he only ordered me to stay inside the house with the doors and windows locked. He wouldn’t let me leave with Eden to go shopping or to spend the day at her house, and if I would leave for school, he always made me message him when I arrived at school and when I would leave the premises.

I was right about one thing though: Antonio was protective of me after all, but that was only because he was a part of the thing he wanted to protect me from—the gangs and the danger that came with being part of them. He protected me.

I feel my lip start to tremble.

I grit my teeth together, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand furiously.

I was sitting on the chair for who knows how long now, my butt started to hurt when the wood started to poke my ass, but I kept sitting.

Vito didn’t come back to talk to me after the talk we had yesterday and I think Giovanni was too angry to talk to me again, especially after I played around with his emotions a little bit yesterday. So I was stuck in this room and all I could do was stare out of the window to keep me entertained for the time being.

The grass down below was drenched in sparkling dew.

There was rain last night, but not enough to last the entire night. It was just enough to coat everything with this wetness all around.

The wind, however, was so strong last night, making the air around the room feel cool against my skin.

The pool outside was covered in leaves and dry twigs and there was this bite to the wind whenever a breeze would slip through underneath the doorframe.