CHAPTER 33 - ❝it is just a chance I have to take❞

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE“IT IS A CHANCE I HAVE TO TAKE”

“IT IS A CHANCE I HAVE TO TAKE”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

The following Monday afternoon, I was waiting in the parking lot for Giovanni or at least one of the guards to pick me up, but ten minutes of waiting later—they never arrived.

Just as I wanted to start to walk like the last time even though my brain screamed for me to stay put and wait before I get side-tracked by Diablo or Vincent again, my phone vibrates in my hand, to my utter relief.

I lift my phone up and unlock it to see that it was a message from Giovanni saying he was going to be a tad late this afternoon. Well, at least he was coming to get me himself.

I was relieved.

I type back an ‘okay’.

I immediately know he’s doing this on purpose due to me not wanting to kiss him after I told him that I want to train with guns. I knew he was stubborn all this time but this was just another level of him being stubborn.

I sigh mostly at myself, feeling the warmth of the sun baking me from above as I waited for Giovanni to arrive.

I just wanted to sit on the sidewalk when someone honks their horn at me.

Expecting Giovanni, I look up only to see that it was a white car, and staring directly at me through the windshield was Vincent, jerking his thumb toward the passenger seat of his car.

Feeling panic bubble up inside me, I swallow down the fear and make my way to his car. I knew he was going to meet with me someday, I just didn’t expect it to be so soon. He was probably here with some proof on my brother, but knowing Vincent, he was here to pressure me more.

I get into the passenger seat, clutching my school bag to my chest as I waited for him to start talking. I can feel his eyes on me and as I turn my head to look at him. I was right. He was looking at me.

“You’re brother’s time is running out, Scarlett.”

I swallow hard, clutching my bag tighter. “I can’t just kill them, Vincent. They’ll gut me down even before I pull the trigger on one of them.”

Vincent laughs bitterly before he twirls a strand of my hair between his fingers. I hated when he did that. I was always too frozen to move away from his fingers. “That would be such a shame.” He says, his thumb grazing my cheek. “You are such a beautiful little thing.”

I move away from his hand. I was flush against his car’s door, and I wasn’t going to move away from it soon. “I want proof that my brother’s alive. I told you before that I will only kill them once I have proof.”

The words felt like poison on my tongue, but I had to make him believe that it was exactly what I was going to do once I got the proof that my brother was alive. Nothing more, and nothing less. Not before he shows me proof.