CHAPTER 18 - ❝spill the damn beans❞

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN“SPILL THE DAMN BEANS”

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
“SPILL THE DAMN BEANS”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

There was laughing and talking around us in the cafeteria that day. Some students slammed their trays down onto their tables as they sat down their chairs scraping across the floors when they pulled it back to sit down.

Eden watches me thoroughly like I was going to disappear into thin air. She was seated across from me and not beside like we always sat during lunch times. I get why she kept her distance though. She wanted to hear my side of the story. She wanted to know why I was gone for so long without contacting her or even letting her know where I was this entire time.

I sigh, sitting back in my chair while I rummaged through my food with my fork. Today’s special: spaghetti and meatballs. Although it looked delicious today, I couldn’t stomach it right now, not with the way Eden was looking at me through her thick eyelashes, sipping on a straw in her diet Coke can, still watching me intently as if I was going to vanish into thin air.

She wasn’t angry at me, she was waiting for an explanation. And I was here trying to avoid that conversation as best I could while also knowing that there wasn’t a way out of this conversation, even if I tried.

“Spill the damn beans, Scarlett.” She finally says, playing with the straw between her fingers. “I’ve been thinking about all the possibilities of where you’ve been since this morning when you showed up out of the blue, but I can’t think straight so you’d have to tell me where you were this entire time before I lose my damn mind.”

I sigh, hearing another set of laughter a few tables down.

They were laughing at me.

I sink lower in my seat, trying to make myself as small as possible, but Vito’s words from this morning came to mind: “You are going to be looked at and talked about today, but it’s up to you to ignore them.”

He was right. Eden was here, she was talking to me and she wasn’t angry at all, so the other people can go screw themselves. If they want to talk to me behind my back, then so be it. Let them talk about me. That’s fine with me.

“You won’t believe me when I tell you.” I tell her, eyeing the apple on my tray beside the spaghetti and meatballs and bottle of sparkled water.

I decide to take a bite out of the apple to avoid this conversation as much as I can, but she only nods and leans onto the table with both of her elbows, eyeing me intently.

“I am your best friend and I’ll try my best to understand, okay?”

“I will tell you once you stop flipping everybody off.” I chuckle, seeing her ringed finger fly up again when she shot the girls who were giggling behind their hands a middle finger.