CHAPTER 43 - ❝surprise visit from a friend❞

CHAPTER FORTY THREE“SURPRISE VISIT FROM A FRIEND”

CHAPTER FORTY THREE
SURPRISE VISIT FROM A FRIEND”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

 “You should really stop trying to save the day, every day.” A voice comes from the doorway to my room where I was lying in the bed, trying to get up but my leg still hurts like a bitch, preventing me from getting up, or moving much for that matter.

I see Eden leaned against the doorframe, her arms folded across her chest. “You’re going to get yourself killed one of these days.”

“Eden? How are you here right now??” I ask her, sitting up in the bed, against the highly stacked pillows acting as a cushion against the rock-hard headboard.

“Giovanni asked me to come.” She says before walking over to the bed and plopping herself down on the foot of the bed. “He thought you needed some company since you’ve been fucking sh and in bed to recover!”

“Things didn’t exactly go as planned…” I tell her, smiling sweetly because I know what I was about to get: a speech from her about my safety and that she’ll kill me herself if I get hurt again.

“Yeah,” she scoffs, “no shit it didn’t go as planned.”

“I’m fine, Eden. I’m recovering and my brother is back where he belongs… that’s a story for another day though… but I can assure you that I am fine.”

“You didn’t look fine when I entered.” She says, her eyebrows lifted questioningly. “You’re still in pain.”

“Well, I did get shot like two days ago and my leg still hurts when I move it, but I’m fine. Giovanni has been helping me with the heavy-lifting into the bath and he brings my food to my room… I’m fine.” I assure her. “I’m just tired of looking at the same four walls the entire damn day while they’re down there, planning whatever it is they’re planning.”

“That’s why I’m here! I’m here to keep you some company.”

“I appreciate you coming, Eden.” I tell my best friend and I see her smile. “I think I would’ve lost my damn mind if you didn’t.”

“We can start by doing your nails… those claws need to be trimmed and painted.” She says, scrunching up her nose when she looks at my chipped nails.

“I’ve been shot, Eden. Sorry I didn’t have time to get my nails done first.” I laugh and she joins in. “Did you even bring your kit or something seeing that you always used mine at home?”

“Of course I did! I didn’t come empty-handed.” She smiles before Giovanni makes an entrance with a small make-up bag in his hands.

He smiles when he sees me and places a sweet kiss against my forehead after he gives Eden her make-up bag. “Are you still doing okay? You need to go to the bathroom or…” He asks and I shake my head.

“No, I think I’m good.” I tell him. “It just hurts a little today more than most days.”

“Do I need to get some painkillers? Or get Kallie?”

“No. I’m fine. I think if Eden does my nails, I’ll forget about the pain. She’s not very gentle.” I chuckle and watch Eden frown at me.

“You sure?” He asks and I nod.

“I’m sure, Giovanni, thank you.”

He nods and places a kiss against my lips this time, gentle and very sweet just like always. It never failed to give me butterflies.

“Just call me if you need anything. I’m right downstairs with the boys.” He says when he pulls away.

“Okay. I will.” I smile at him.

He nods and walks out of the room and closing the door behind him.

“That was so cute!” Eden squeals. “I wish someone could look at me the way Giovanni looks at you.” She says, pouting.

“You’ll get your knight in shining armour, Eden. Just don’t stop looking.”

“Oh hell no I won’t! I think I have a lot of options right downstairs… Jason is quite a flirt, but Vito…” She whistles, “Vito is my man.”

“Why doesn’t that even surprise me?” I shake my head at her as I watch her take out the nail polish from her bag. There was make-up too but that wasn’t going to work seeing that I have this huge Band-Aid across my nose.

“What? I had dibs on him first!” She argues, shaking her head.

“Well, I hope it will work out for you then.” I tell her.

I point at the black coloured nail polish and smile when she starts to paint my fingernails. I missed being with her like this.

This year has been one helluva year so far and I should be grateful that some things are finally starting to work for out for me, with Giovanni, Eden and my brother… but if Vito and Giovanni along with the three J’s are going to start a war with the White Pistols, I’m not sure things are going to run so smoothly.

They’re risking their lives for me, again. I don’t know if I would be able to live with the consequences if things go wrong with anyone. I won’t live with myself If Giovanni gets hurt trying to protect me. But I have faith in him and know that everything is going to be quite alright, I hope.

“And we still have prom to think about.” Eden says as she paints my thumb nail.

“Girl, I just want to make it through the day first… I can’t think so deep in the future right now with the things going on.” I tell her.

But the thought of going to prom with Giovanni by my side… it sounded like a dream come true for me. I wasn’t always too keen on going but now that I have Giovanni in my life, I am highly considering going to prom, if we survive that is.

I shrug the intrusive thoughts away and smile at my best friend. “But you’re right; I would want to go to prom, with Giovanni.”

“And me with Vito.” She grins, her eyebrows jumping up and down.

” She grins, her eyebrows jumping up and down