CHAPTER 02 - ❝unfamiliarities❞

CHAPTER TWO│ UNFAMILIARITIES

SCARLETT DEL GATO

I crack my eyes open, squinting at my surroundings. I tried to lift my head from my pillow, but when I feel throbbing at the back of my head, I plopped my head straight back down onto the pillow. It felt as if though someone were drilling a hole inside my head, over and over again, without stopping.

I groan and close my eyes to relieve some of the pain coming from the back of my head, but to no avail. Closing my eyes only made the back of my head throb more and more, so I opened my eyes again and looked at my surroundings.

The walls were covered in this dark platinum-coloured wallpaper and the entirety of the room was decorated fairly well—with travertine marbled floors that were polished and with walls beautifully decorated with paintings of flowers and landscapes all around the world.

The room had French windows that were covered with these beautiful light grey draped curtains that barely kissed the marble floors and even though the curtains were closed, I still spotted the sunlight peeking through.

There was also a clock hanging on the wall right above the door.

It read; 13:45pm.

I look up, seeing a slow-paddling ceiling fan.

There was a wooden desk in the corner of the room, right beside the draped window, but there was nothing piquing my interest lying on the desk—there was only a small potted fern that has been watered recently, a black pen and an empty photo frame.

I can only assume that this was some sort of guestroom.

The guestroom was nice and warm, and it was surprisingly comfortable.

While I was trying to figure out where I was, I see some flashbacks running through my mind: I remember Giovanni in the kitchen, how he used his gun to beat my brother across the face. I remember Vito pulling me out of the kitchen, careful not to hurt me. I also remember him smiling sadly at me after his brother shot mine.

Giovanni shot my brother, but looking down at my still clothed and un-bruised body, I don’t think he shot me too. Yes, I had this throbbing pain at the back of my head, but I definitely wasn’t shot.

If I was shot, I would have been dead right now.

I swallow hard when the flashback brought tears to my eyes, but I had to swallow it down when I suddenly heard footsteps nearing the room, the footsteps echoing on the travertine marbled floors.

The door to my room opened and I caught a glimpse of both Vito and Giovanni entering my room at the same time but I closed my eyes just in time. I don’t want them to notice that I was awake this entire time. If they did, I’m dead.