CHAPTER 15 - ❝the three j's❞

CHAPTER FIFTEEN"THE THREE J'S"

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
"THE THREE J'S"

SCARLETT DEL GATO

I open my eyes to a ray of sunlight splitting down in the middle of the living room.

I was sleeping on the couch seeing that Giovanni didn't budge when I nudged him with my arm yesterday, so I took my blanket and came down here to sleep on the couch.

It was more comfortable than I expected and I fell asleep after a few minutes of watching the TV. It was still on when I woke up a few minutes ago, so I leaned over to grab the remote from the coffee table before switching the TV off.

I stretch my limbs as I sit up on the couch, squinting my eyes at the piercing ray of sunlight coming through the curtains. I cover a yawn with my hand, feeling the need to drink three cups of coffee this morning.

I was about to get up when voices broke through the door. I couldn't quite piece together what they were saying, but the voices sounded unfamiliar. It didn't belong to any of the guards I came into contact with the last couple of days, and it definitely wasn't one of the Castiglione brothers.

The front door creaks open and I notice three boys walking through the front door like they owned the place. I jump up from the couch, crouching down to hide behind the recliner.

Why didn't the guard at the front gate stop them from entering? I thought, my heart starting to hammer inside my chest. Vito and Giovanni were sleeping off a hangover and the chances of them hearing my screams from all the way down here would be slim. What if they killed the guard?

I swallow hard, feeling fear bubbling up inside of me.

I peek over the recliner's arm rest, seeing the three boys casually talking to each other.

The oldest of the three boys had a stubble for a beard and dark brown hair it was almost black like Giovanni's. He had on a skinny pair of long, dark blue trousers with a white buttoned-up shirt. He also wore a pair of white lace-up sneakers.

The second oldest, I assume seeing that the other boy looked younger than the other two, had a lighter shade of hair than the oldest guy. He had on a pair of black ripped jeans and black shoes with a black shirt. He had long hair too, it nearly touches the base of his shoulders.

The youngest of the three didn't join in on their conversation. He just stood there with his hands propped into his pair of normal black jeans. He also had on a buttoned-up shirt, but the top button was undone, leaving a piece of his chest to be exposed. I noticed a light pink scar there.

It didn't look like they were here to shoot anyone, but then again Giovanni wasn't dressed to kill someone when we went out shopping the other day. He looked like a normal civilian ready to go shopping, not to kill someone in a clothing store for having some kind of grudge against him.