CHAPTER 38 - ❝I should've killed him on the spot❞

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT“I SHOULD'VE KILLED HIM ON THE SPOT”

“I SHOULD'VE KILLED HIM
ON THE SPOT”

GIOVANNI CASTIGLIONE

 “I should’ve killed him on the spot.” I tell Vito the second we stepped foot inside the mansion.

It felt weird entering it without Scarlett by our side, especially when we said that we were going to get her, but we returned with nothing but anger.

“If we killed him, we would’ve died too, Giovanni.” Vito says. “And what is that going to help Scarlett’s case if we’re dead?”

“Don’t remind me.” I tell him, shaking my head. “But the next time I will not back down, not again, even if it means I’ll die, but I will not back down again.”

“I know, brother. We both know you don’t really like to back away from a fight, especially not when Scarlett’s involved.”

The three J’s went home after our little debacle with Diablo but they were going to come back tomorrow to help us figure out a plan to get to Scarlett.

 “Well, at least dad will be satisfied with her being gone.” Vito says, making his way to the living room with me close on his heels.

“Now is not the time to make jokes like that, Vittorio.” I glare at him. “She’s gone and we don’t know if she’s being tortured right now. We have to figure something out and soon. I want her back before the week ends.”

What Vito said earlier made me feel bad about me thinking she betrayed us. It made me taste something bitter on my tongue—regret. I hated feeling this regret. I know that Scarlett would never betray us. I knew it but yet the thought still ran through my mind after what Diablo has said.

I shake my head at myself.

Vito throws his hands up in surrender before he pats my back. “I was kidding. And besides, I just wanted to see if you still care about her because what Diablo said earlier seemed like it hurt you.”

I plop down on the couch, running my fingers through my hair. “Of course I care about her and I feel bad that I accused her of betraying us, but she still kissed him and that shit hurts. She could’ve told me everything and I would’ve helped her. She shouldn’t be the one to keep all of this to herself.”

“I know, brother. But if you think about it, she was desperate to get her brother back. If I was in her shoes, I probably would’ve done the same thing.” Vito says and I nod, agreeing with him. “All jokes aside. The two of you have been working together non-stop to figure out his betrayal and now to find out that he was never even dead to begin with… that shit is enough to get one all desperate.”

“I love her, brother, but’s hard not to feel anything at all when you find out what someone can do when they’re desperate… and besides, we don’t even know if Antonio is actually alive. The letter only said that there’s a possibility that he might be alive.”

“Oh no, that I definitely know, big brother.” Vito says, leaning back against the couch. “It’s okay to feel a little hurt by her actions, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t, but just know that it’s Scarlett we’re talking about… We don’t know if he forced her to kiss him. He only said those things to get a reaction out of us, remember that. So unless we can find her and listen to what she has to say first, we shouldn’t be playing the blame game.”

I nod, sighing. “I sometimes hate it when you’re so wise… I’m supposed to be the wise one here seeing that I‘m older than you.”

“Well, if I’m not the one being wise, you would’ve already been dead, big brother.” Vito grins, patting my shoulder. “But Scarlett’s strong. We just need to have some faith in her.”

He was right about that.

She was strong. I could see that when she was training with me the other day. She really does have a good punch and the way she handled the gun like it was nothing at all. My Scarlett sure is strong, but I just hope they don’t break her. That’s why we need to do everything in our power to find her.

I need her back. I need her here where she can be safe with me.

I am losing my mind not having her here. Not knowing where she was… it pained me, and Vito knew it too because he loved her too, not as much as I did, but he cared about her deeply. We all did.

“I don’t like sitting here doing nothing at all to find her…” I tell Vito after a few minutes of staring at the blank TV.

“Me neither… but it’s better than thinking of something than going out there with absolutely nothing up our sleeves.” Vito says. “We have to think with our brains and not with our hearts. It’s going to get us killed.”

“I can’t think with either my heart or brain right now, brother.” I tell him honestly. “I just want to know where she is because the not-knowing is what’s killing me at the moment.”

Vito nods. “The White Pistols are clever. They will keep her somewhere we haven’t been yet. We were at Diablo’s house but he didn’t seem like he was keeping her inside his house. Diablo was just the distraction.”

“Distraction or not, we still don’t have a clue where she’s being held…” I tell him and he finally turns his head to look at me.

“That’s true… there’s just one place we know of but has never been to before and that’s their safe house.”

“Although I really want to believe that that’s where she is, brother, we can’t take that chance to just show up there.” I tell him. Going to their safe house is just asking for a bullet inside your brain. “It’s their safe house… there’s going to be a lot of security and it’s going to be difficult getting in without being seen—”

Although it was risky to think about just going to their safe house, I was still in. Being with Scarlett made me realise that she needs to be protected at all costs and if I have to break the rules to ensure her safety, then count me in.

“—but I’m definitely in, brother. I’m game for a little danger.”

Vito smiles at me slyly and nods. “We leave tomorrow as early as possible, but be prepared for a war, brother.”

“I’m always ready for war.” I tell Vito. “They don’t call me the devil for nothing.”

”