CHAPTER 01 - ❝the Castiglione brothers❞

CHAPTER ONE │ THE CASTIGLIONE BROTHERS

SCARLETT DEL GATO

I LAUGH AT MY best friend and shake my head at her for what felt like the millionth time that day. “Yeah? What did you say to him after?” I ask her.

My eye catches the TV over her head and I see today’s news popping up.

“I obviously told him to shut the hell up—”

I throw my hand into the air, silencing her immediately.

“Shhh.” I grab the remote from the nightstand, nearly knocking over two tiny bottles of nail polish in the process. I turn the volume of the TV up until I started to hear the crowd going wild in the background. By the sounds of their rambling, they were not happy at all.

Eden, shoots me a death glare for interrupting her story so abruptly, especially for something like the news, but she eventually just shrugs it off knowing that I never missed the news since he has been incarcerated mid last year.

Eden continues to paint her toenails this deep onyx-colour that matched her outfit for today—a black pair of fishnet stockings underneath a light blue denim pair of short and a black solid form-fitting turtleneck top—while I fixed my gaze back onto the TV and on the news.

I place the remote back onto the nightstand absentmindedly and watched the male news presenter coming into view, standing with a microphone in his hand.

The wind was blowing harshly outside, but that didn’t stop the presenter from delivering today’s news, or more so, last year’s news seeing that Giovanni Castiglione has been released exactly a year ago today and his release hasn’t placed smiles on the people in the crowd behind the news presenter’s faces.

The video where Giovanni leaves the penitentiary where he was imprisoned was taken exactly a year ago today and  it being on the news was to remind us that Giovanni Castiglione was now a free man and that he is on the lookout for the person who put him in that penitentiary in the first place.

The male presenter was standing right in front of the building of ESU—Eckerton State Penitentiary—where Giovanni was incarcerated. His brown hair was blowing harshly in the wind, but he didn’t fail to deliver the dreadful news.

My heart gets lodged inside my throat when Giovanni Castiglione walked out of the building right behind the male news presenter. I don’t know why my heart suddenly decided to race, pushing against the walls of my ribcage, but looking at him walking side by side with his younger brother Vittorio with both of their chins held high like nothing in the world could stop them made me feel uneasy.

That was because there really was nothing in the world that could stop them.

I shake my head at my uneasiness, listening to the male presenter when he started to speak. “It has been a year since Giovanni Castiglione has been released out of Eckerton State Penitentiary after being sentenced to sit for a year for the illegal distribution of drugs and a variety of different weapons.”