CHAPTER 26 - ❝she's gone without a trace❞

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX“SHE'S GONE WITHOUT A TRACE”

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX
“SHE'S GONE WITHOUT A TRACE”

GIOVANNI CASTIGLIONE

I frown, looking down at the multiple messages I left for Scarlett since this morning but she didn’t answer one of them. She didn’t even read one either. I tried calling her multiple times too but it goes straight to voicemail.

“I sent Scarlett a million messages but she hasn’t responded to one of them.” I tell Vito, pacing around the living room.

“Just stop pacing, brother.” He says, waving me off and beckoning for me to sit down on the recliner seat. “You’re making me worried if you pace around like that.”

I stop pacing to face him. “I am worried.” I jerk my head toward the phone in my hand. “She hasn’t been answering any of my messages or calls. Are you even sure you dropped her off in the parking lot? You saw her enter the school, right?”

Vito nods. “Yes, big brother.” He sighs. “She walked with Eden into school and she was safe and sounds.”

“Then why isn’t she responding to my calls or messages?”

“Maybe it’s because she’s in class and can’t take out her phone when she pleases.” He says in a sarcastic tone. “She can’t take out her phone and text you every five seconds, big brother.”

I sigh loudly and finally plop myself down onto the recliner. I prop my phone back into my jean pocket and started to drum my fingers against my thigh to get rid of some time.

“Just stay calm.” Vito says. “She’s probably in Math class trying to figure out a problem, so leave her be for a while and if she doesn’t respond when the end of the day comes, we’ll drive to school and check up on her ourselves.”

I nod at him.

• • •

I nearly dropped my phone when I felt it vibrating in my hand.

I just wanted to check up on her again especially after Vito had told me not to bother her anymore, so seeing a message coming from her made me feel relieved because she finally responded after a few hours.

Scarlett: I’m fine, Castiglione. Stop messaging me so much.

“She messaged me back.” I tell Vito.

“See?” He smiles. “I told you that you had nothing to worry about.”

I frown, rereading the message over and over again.

You know that gut feeling you get when something’s off? I was having one of those and I couldn’t ignore it. Something was definitely wrong. Something definitely felt off with the message she sent me.

“What’s wrong?” Vito asks, sensing my sudden worry.

“Her message feels off.” I tell him. “She rarely, if ever, calls me Castiglione. It’s always Asstiglione or even Giovanni. But never Castiglione.”