CHAPTER 29 - ❝promises can be broken❞

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE“PROMISES CAN BE BROKEN”

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
“PROMISES CAN BE BROKEN”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

The school parking lot the next week Monday was dreadfully full, making me groan loudly when Giovanni parked the SUV.

I suddenly didn’t want to climb out of the car anymore but Giovanni would know that something was wrong. He’d pull the truth right out of me. I don’t want to tell him the truth, not until I know the truth myself.

I don’t know if my brother’s alive or not.

I don’t know if what Vincent said was true or not.

I didn’t know anything.

All I know is that Giovanni didn’t shoot my brother. He didn’t pull the trigger. Vincent did. He was there that night. He was the silhouette I kept seeing in my dreams over and over again. It was him with the white pistol tattoo I saw in my nightmare.

“What’s wrong?” Giovanni asks when he parked the SUV.

His eyes were full of concern and the look he was giving me wanted to make me blabber everything to him.

Right here, right now.

But I can’t. There was too much at risk.

If I tell him what Vincent expects of me, I don’t know what Giovanni and Vito would do with the information. I don’t know if they would go and wipe out the entire gang of the White Pistols before I could even get a chance to know if my brother was alive or not.

I shake my head and flash him a small smile. “Nothing. I’m just tired.”

He squeezes my hand when I wanted to click the button to unlock the seatbelt. His hand was so warm against mine, I wanted nothing more than to take his hand in mine and to give it a squeeze back, but he pulls away before I could get a chance to.

He places his hand on the steering wheel again.

“If you feel too tired or pressured, let me know and I’ll come and get you.” He says. “And if something feels off, message me first before you take matters into your own hands.”

“Are you referring me to me going back to the house without letting you know?” I ask him.

He nods. “I know why you were upset that day.” He says. “Eden told me about Vincent. You were upset about it.”

“You saw Eden?”

“I came to school with Vito. She told me she tried to contact you but you never responded to one of her calls or messages. I tried to find some clues about where you were but she didn’t have a clue either. She just wanted me to find you and to bring her back.”

A small laugh escapes through my lips. “I’m surprised you didn’t drag her along.” I smile at him. “I thought you would drag her along to get some information out of her.”