CHAPTER 32 - ❝training with Giovanni❞

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO“TRAINING WITH GIOVANNI”

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO
“TRAINING WITH GIOVANNI”

SCARLETT DEL GATO

“You have to dodge my punches faster, and you have to lift your arms trying to stop my fists before they make contact.” Giovanni says when he nearly makes contact with my face for the third time that afternoon.

We were in the backyard, training like he said we would last week. It was nice to be in the yard today. The sun was nice and warm. The rays actually glistened against the pool. The insects buzzed around us and the birds chirped happily. I even heard a woodpecker in the distance.

It was a peaceful day, except for the fact that I was sweating from head to toe. My forehead was covered in sweat, I had to wipe it off with my gloved hand every so often before it rolls into my eyes. I wanted nothing more than to jump in the pool to cool me off, but we weren’t even halfway through with our training.

I couldn’t give up that easily. I should just endure this for a while longer seeing that I was the one who wanted to train in the first place.

“I know.” I sigh, taking a step away from Giovanni to take a breath.

The cool breeze helped a little bit, cooling me off seeing that I was a panting mess, completely out of breath from training with someone like Giovanni.

I was a sweaty mess, but Giovanni? He still looked like he could run a marathon. There were no signs of sweat on his forehead. His hair wasn’t even tousled. My hair, on the other hand, stood up in every direction and the sweat didn’t help one bit. Hell, Giovanni didn’t even pant like me, and he was doing most of the moving work seeing that I had to dodge his punches.

“Let’s try again, shall we?” Giovanni asks, rolling his shoulders as he steps forward, nearing me. “Just think of me as someone you truly despise. Maybe that would give you a little motivation.” He says, smiling at me.

The first person coming to mind when Giovanni told me to think of someone I despised—was Vincent. I wanted to hurt him with every fibre of my being for hurting my brother in the first place.

“Okay, go ahead.” I tell him, lifting my arms to block his punches.

As his fist was thrown toward me, I dodged it with my arm, pushing his hand away in the process before it made contact with my face.

“Nice.” Giovanni smiles proudly. “I should’ve told you to think about someone you despise sooner. Who did you think about?”

“Uh… just someone from middle school.” I lie. “Now can I actually be the one who throws the punches? I want to cause damage, not prevent it.”

Giovanni chuckles, running his fingers through his hair. “Since when did you become so feisty?”

I shrug at him. “I just really want to learn how to fight. I don’t want to defend myself anymore. I want to fight.”