Chapter 30: Just Keep Smiling

Epona's POV:

I woke up to my alarm, which I had set earlier than everyone elses, and got dressed. I put my sleeves all the way down, and put a sweatshirt on over top. Even though the cuts were further up my arm, I still want to be careful. It had been a few days since the Yule Ball was announced, and each day I get less and less interested.

But Phineas seemed to be excited about it, and wouldn't stop talking about what fun it was going to be and how we would be together. It was getting annoying.

"I never said I'd be your partner. So will you please shut up!" I snapped, instantly regretting it. 

It was Slytherin and Ravenclaw in class together, and the whole room went dead silent. The teacher had left for a moment, and Phineas looked at me appalled.

"Excuse me?" He growled.

August had grabbed my hand and gave it a  squeeze. I knew he meant it as comforting, and it  was, but I was just mad.

I stood up, "You heard me. I never heard you ask me to the Ball. You just said we were going." I glared at him.

Phineas stepped closer and whispered in my ear, "Oh yeah? Who else is going to go with you? If you're thinking Malfoy, he already got asked. And he said yes." 

He said the second part louder, so everyone else could hear. I made eye contact with Draco and he gulped. I felt my heart plummet. I took a deep breath.

"Who says I need a partner? I'll show up alone, and I'll fucking rock it." I tapped his shoulder, "Sorry, but you'd ruin my image." 

I walked out of the classroom, and fear engulfed me. What the fuck had I just done? I really am an asshole. What if he breaks up with me? I-I don't want him to break up with me. I slid down the wall hugging my knees. Class was dismissed and Phineas just glared at me as he walked by. If looks could kill, I'd be dead on the ground.

But someone stopped in front of me. Draco Malfoy.

"Are you okay?" He asked, and I stood up, wiping tears from my eyes.

"How about you just worry about yourself and your partner, Draco." I snarled.

He looked hurt, "I just thought you were going with Phineas..." 

I scoffed, "Well I don't seem to have a choice, do I? At least he wants to be with me." I pushed past him.

"What about our study lesson?" He asked, reaching out for me.

"Consider it cancelled."

I didn't talk to anyone for the rest of the day. Night came and I kept texting Phineas about how sorry I was, but he didn't respond. He just left me on read. God damn it. I felt more tears fall down my face. I wiped at them. I'm a stupid crybaby. A stupid, selfish, asshole crybaby. 

So I picked up the metal, and did it again.

Then my phone chimed. For a moment I had hope that it was Phineas. But it quickly faded as I saw it was just Hermione. I sighed, putting my phone down on the bed.

It would be rude of me to not answer. I sighed again and picked it up. I read the text aloud.

"Hey, Effie, I was just wondering if you were making dresses for the Yule Ball? I have a date, who'll I'll tell you all about, and I was wondering if you could make me something. I really do hope I'm not too late." I felt a shred of happiness flow throw me, and I replied.

She wants me to make her a dress...I didn't think anyone would. Maybe she's just pitying me... Either way, I'll make her the perfect dress.

I woke up the next day, excited as ever and got dressed quickly. I almost ran out of the Slytherin dormitories and to the Ravenclaw tower. Hermione said she would meet me there, and August would let us in.