XXVIII. A BLUDGER'S WRATH

A BLUDGER'S WRATH!

DECEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Holland let out a nervous sigh, anxiously rubbing her hands together, as she and the rest of the Slytherin Quidditch team were waiting in the Slytherin Quidditch tower, listening to the excited cheers of the crowd that was just on the other side of the wooden structure.

"You okay?" Regulus asked the Irish girl, putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Holland nodded with a small smile, "Just a little nervous, that's all." She told him.

"Well, don't worry," Regulus said, "We've got a great team."

The older girl nodded, tying her hair up in a ponytail, "That we do." She agreed, before the pair both joined in with a conversation with Bronwyn, the Slytherin Keeper, Irina Taverling, and one of the Slytherin Chasers, Gavin Rutherwood. Whilst discussing plays with them, Holland couldn't help but listen to their other two teammates' conversation when a certain Gryffindor's name was mentioned.

"I bet you ten galleons that I can knock Saint Potter off of his broom before the game ends." Aaron Jorey - the other Slytherin Beater - said to Goyle, one of the other Slytherin Chasers.

"You're on." Goyle snickered, shaking hands with Aaron, making Holland's heartrate speed up, leaving her even more anxious for the game than before.

***

"Another point for Slytherin! They lead Gryffindor fifty to forty!"

Holland smiled at the score, as she flew around the cold, snowy pitch, glad that her team were in the lead. However, that smile was soon wiped off her face when she saw James Potter narrowly dodge a hit from a bludger, curtesy of Aaron, for the third time.

The Irish girl let out a frustrated growl, flying her broom over to where the Beater was.

"Cut it out, Jorey!" She yelled out to the boy.

"It's all in good fun, Lux!" Aaron shouted back to his Captain, who glared at him as he flew away.

***

"And Gryffindor scores! They trail Slytherin seventy to fifty!"

Holland smiled slightly, looking around for the Snitch, whilst making sure to keep an eye on Aaron. The girl would rather lose the match than let someone get hurt. Especially the best friend of the person that she cares about the most.

She was flying next to James - who was also on the search for Snitch - when she spotted the large iron ball approaching them.

"Wacth out!" She yelled to her fellow Seeker, making him spot the object hurtling towards him with wide eyes, before barely dodging it.

"Thanks." James said, giving the girl an appreciative nod.

"No problem," Holland nodded, as they both eyed Aaron, "He's an absolute twat, and he's trying to knock you off of your broom." She warned the Gryffindor.

"Yeah, that part I kind of gathered." James told her with a slight chuckle, causing Holland to smile slightly, before the familiar sound of metal wings flapping and the Golden Snitch appeared between them.

The Captains looked at each other, before the Snitch shot up into the sky, the pair chasing after it.

"Team Captains James Potter and Holland Lux have both seen the Golden Snitch! It's a race to win!"

Holland let out a grunt as they both flew higher and higher after the flying object, reaching their arms out to grab the Snitch in a fight to win.

James' hand was close to grabbing the Snitch, when a heavy object hurtled towards him.

The iron bludger crashed into the back of James' broom, splitting it into pieces, spinning the boy and his broom out of control, plummeting to the ground.

Seeing this, without a moment of hesitation, Holland turned her broom, chasing after the Gryffindor. The girl sped after James, the cold Winter wind whipping harshly against her face.

The crowd gasped as they watched Holland Lux latch onto James Potter's robe twenty feet above the ground, preventing the boy from falling and obtaining great injury.

"Take my hand!" Holland called out to the boy, who nodded, grabbing her outstretched hand so that he was more secure than the Irish girl holding him up by his robes. The pair both grunted as Holland did her best to pull the boy onto the back of her broom.

It was then that the Slytherin noticed a familiar loud noise approaching them, making Holland's heartrate speed up rapidly, and she hurried her attempt of getting James on her broom.

That's when she felt it.

Pain erupted through her body as the iron bludger crashed into her back with a loud crunch, making her let out a scream as she lost her grip on not only her broom, but James as well, sending both Seekers plummeting to the ground below.

The pitch fell silent, as they watched the pair fall, Holland landing awkwardly on her leg and arm, and James on his wrist.

Madam Hooch stopped the game and both teams ran to their unconscious Captains in worry.

Remus watched next to Peter and Lily from the stands, hand over his mouth, as he stared through teary eyes at one of his best friends and the girl he loved lying injured and unconscious on the ground.