XXX. HOME

HOME!

DECEMBER 1976

DECEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Holland let out a frustrated huff, dipping her quill into some ink, continuing to struggle writing a letter to her parents with her left hand.

"That's the sixth huff in fifteen minutes," James noted, staring down at a large piece of familiar parchment, making the girl look up towards him, "What have you got against that piece of parchment?"

The Slytherin girl let out a small chuckle, "It's hard to write when you've broken your dominant hand." She told him, making James nod and look down at his broken left wrist.

"Do you want any help with that?" The boy asked.

"No, I just finished it," Holland shook her head, "But thanks anyway, though."

"Anytime." James grinned with a nod.

"Besides, I'm sure if Pomfrey caught you trying to do anything, she'd have a fit." Holland chuckled, placing the finished letter on her bedside table.

"Poppy is one scary woman." James nodded, making Holland laugh.

"That she is." The girl nodded.

"That medicine she gave us tastes like troll bogies." The Gryffindor added.

"Had a lot of experience in that area, do you, Potter?" Holland smirked, wincing as she adjusted her uncomfortable lying position.

"A true gentleman never reveals his secrets, Lux," James smirked back, making the pair chuckle, "So, what who was that letter to? If you don't mind me asking."

"My parents," Holland answered, "They're on holiday for their wedding anniversary right now, so I'm just telling them not to worry and to continue their holiday, and I'll stay spending the Christmas here."

James raised his eyebrows, "You're spending Christmas here? By yourself?"

"Pretty much, yeah," The Irish girl nodded, "I'm quite sure that I'm the only Slytherin staying here for Christmas."

James stared at the girl in thought, biting his lip before speaking up, "Pomfrey wrote to mum and dad. I'm going home a few days early. Wanna join?" He proposed, making Holland's eyes widen, "After all, I owe you my life."

"W-What?" Holland spluttered.

"Spend Christmas with me and my family." James repeated.

Holland looked at him, unsure, "Doesn't Black live with you?"

"I can deal with Sirius," James told her, "So?"

Holland bit her lip, before nodding, "Okay."

James grinned, "Really?"

"Yes." Holland confirmed.

"Brilliant," The boy smiled, "You won't regret it. I promise."

Holland wasn't too sure, "Alright."

They sat in silence for a few moments.

"By the way, who won the game?"

"You did."

"I should bloody well think so."

***

Having left a note to her friends, saying that she had gone to her Grandma Delphina and Grandpa Jeremiah's for Christmas and to finish her recovery, which was half true. Whilst James was almost completely healed, Holland still needed more time for her injuries to heal, as they were much more extensive.

Holland smiled at Euphemia Potter, as she helped the Irish girl out of the Potter's car and Fleamont Potter was getting both of the students' trunks out of the car.

"Thank you, Mrs Potter." Holland said to the woman, who smiled warmly at the Slytherin.

"Please, call me Euphemia, Darling." She told Holland, who nodded.

"Well, Lux," James said, coming to stand next to the slightly older girl, "Welcome to the humble Potter abode."

Holland looked up at the building in awe, a warm aura coming from it. Sure, Holland's house was bigger. But his was a home.

"It's lovely." The girl told James, making him smile.

"Come on." James said, helping the girl walk up the steps to the front door, which his parents had entered earlier.

The entrance lead into a large, cosy living room, with a fireplace and a boxy television, something that the Slytherin had never seen before with her own eyes. An archway lead into the homey kitchen and dining room. Stairs in the living room lead up to the second floor, which James assisted Holland up to show her to the guestroom that she would be staying during the holiday.

"Here, we go." James murmured, opening the door, and Holland slowly walked in, looking around the room with a soft smile.

It was a simple room, with a warm grey wallpaper, a large window, a comfortable small double bed, a chest of drawers - which Fleamont had put the girl's trunk in front of - and there was also a desk, a wall mirror, and a vanity table.

It was clear that the Potters had wealth, but they weren't ones to flaunt it, unlike Holland's family.

"It's not much, but I hope you like it." Euphemia told the girl, coming up to stand behind her son in the doorway.

Holland shook her head, "It's lovely, thank you."

Euphemia grinned, "Wonderful." She said, before making her way downstairs to make lunch for them all.

Holland slowly and carefully sat on the bed, wary not to hurt herself, still looking around, smiling at the softness of it.

James smiled, watching her, "Lily has a good friend in you." He told her.

Holland snapped her head towards him, "W-What?"

"She was visiting you in the Hospital Wing when I woke up," He explained, leaning on the doorframe, hands in his pockets, "Wasn't all that hard to put two and two together."

"Oh." The Irish girl muttered, looking at him nervously.

"Don't worry," James told her, "I don't care if you're friends or not. It's your lives," He shrugged, moving to sit next to her on the bed, "And besides, she says you're a brilliant friend. Which I don't find hard to believe."

Holland smiled, "Thank you. For everything."

James laughed slightly, shaking his head, "You saved my life, Holland," He told her, "It's you who deserves the thanks."

"Anyone would've-"

"No," James cut her off, "They wouldn't. You're a really special person, Holland. And I'm glad that I can call you a friend."

The girl grinned at him, "I am too." She said, leaning into a friendly hug.

James wrapped an arm around her shoulder, and they sat loke that for a moment.

"Do you think that you could put a good word with Lily from me?"

Holland laughed.

"I'll see what I can do."