LXIII. A BEACON HOME

A BEACON HOME!

NOVEMBER 1977

7th Year

• • • •

"Oh my goodness." Holland breathed out, reading the Daily Prophet as she and Mary were walking through the corridors.

"Another attack?" The Gryffindor asked.

Holland glanced up at her, nodding solemnly, "'Muggle family of five murdered by Death Eaters'. That's the fifth one in three days."

Mary sighed, "Well, they are saying it's going to be a war."

Holland swallowed thickly, thinking back to what Regulus had said to her.

"Does it scare you?" The Irish girl asked, "The whole prospect of this?"

"Of course," Mary nodded, "But we have to stay strong. Otherwise we'll all crumble."

Holland nodded in agreement, putting the paper back in her satchel, smiling when she saw Marlene and Bronwyn at the end of the corridor.

"They're so good together." Mary commented, as they came to a stop at the other end of the corridor, making Holland nod in agreement.

"I'm so happy and proud that she's embraced who she is and who she loves." The Irish girl smiled.

"People deserve to love who they want," Mary nodded, "Marlene and Bronwyn, Romeo and Juliet. Or should I say you and Remus."

Hollabd laughed, "Shut up."

The pair giggled, before a familiar redhead started walking down the corridor, freezing once she saw the happy couple.

It was the tears in her eyes that made Holland and Mary look at each other in shock and confusion as Maxine hurried away.

"I'll be back." Holland told her friend, before rushing after her fellow Slytherin.

After five minutes of walking through the corridors, Holland finally found Maxine sitting on the floor in an empty corridor, knees up to her chest, crying.

The younger girl sighed softly, sitting next to her friend, wrapping her arms around her in a comforting hug, to which Maxine quickly reciprocated.

"Max?"

"At first I thought it was just because it was odd seeing Bronwyn and Marlene together. Bronwyn with a girl," The redhead sniffled into Holland's shoulder, "And then I realised."

"You're in love with her." Holland finished, making Maxine nod weakly.

"I think that I always have, in a way," The older Slytherin shrugged, "I like boys and girls," She stated, "That feels good to say out loud."

Holland smiled supportively at her, "I'm proud of you."

"I want that. What you and Lupin have. I want someone who loves and cares about me," Maxine said, "But I don't think that'll happen."

"Give it time," Holland told her, "If you and Bronwyn are meant to be together then it'll happen. And if not, that's okay. You're a catch."

Maxine smiled up at her, "Why can't you like girls?" She asked, making the both of them burst out into laughter.

***

Sitting at breakfast, Holland laughed, as she leant against Remus, listening to James describe how his last date with Lily went, when the owls came swooping in, delivering the students' mail.

Holland ignored the owls, as she wouldn't normally get mail from her family, apart from her Grandpa Jeremiah, but it was a Wednesday, and he always sends them to her on a Friday. So, she was confused when the Lux family owl landed on the table in front of her.

"I thought your Grandpa's letters usually came on a Friday?" Remus noted.

Holland nodded, slowly taking the letter from the bird's grasp, "They do," The girl read the envelope and her eyebrows raised, "But this one is from my mother."

"You haven't spoken to either of your parents in nearly a year." James said.

"That's what's so worrying." Holland told him, opening the letter as the owl flew away after her boyfriend gave him some food.

My Dearest Holland,

I know it's been quite a long time since we last spoke, and I miss you. We all do.

That is why we would like you to come home to the manor this Christmas. Your father, grandparents and I are all eager to see you again.

Please do come.

With love,

Mother

"She wants me home for Christmas."

"Are you going to go?" James asked.

"I want to." Holland said with a small nod.

"Then go," Remus encouraged her, "You said you wanted to see your family again. And if they want you home your mother must be happy for you, right?"

Holland smiled, "Yeah. Yeah, I'll-I'll go."

"You better promise you visit us at least once." James told the Slytherin, pointing at her with his fork.

"I will as long as you stop trying to poke my eye out with your cutlery." Holland nodded, making the two boys chuckle.