XLV. THE BRAINS, THE BEAUTY AND THE BRAWN

THE BRAINS, THE BEAUTY AND THE BRAWN!

SPETEMBER 1971

1st Year

• • • •

"And have you got everything?" Larissa Lux asked her eleven year old daughter, as the Lux family stood on Platform 9¾.

"Yes, Mother." Holland grinned at the woman, her string Irish accent shining through.

"Your bag?"

"Yes."

"A book to read?"

"Yes."

"Your uniform?"

"Larissa, it's Holland. If you think she's not got it, that means she most definitely has." Oberon Lux told his wife, making her nod with a smile.

"I just worry," Larissa said, before turning back to her daughter and giving her a warm hug, "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Mother." Holland told her, before the woman let go and Oberon then crouched down in front of her.

"You have a good time, Little Bird," Oberon smiled, giving the petit girl a hug, "Don't cause too much trouble." He added, making her laugh.

It was then time to say goodbye to the last person of their family who had accompanied them to the platform.

"Now you listen here, my darling," Jeremiah Lux started, picking his granddaughter up and holding her at his hip, "It doesn't matter what house you're out into. As long as you're true to yourself, you understand?"

Holland nodded, hugging her Grandfather, "Yes Grandpa."

"Good girl." The man smiled, setting her back down.

"Have fun." Larissa told her daughter, giving her one last hug, before letting her get on the train, as she, her husband and her father in-law watched the eleven-year-old clamber on, with proud glints in their eyes.

***

After waving goodbye to her family, Holland walked through the crowded train, looking for somewhere to sit.

Coming across a carriage with an open door, the young girl saw a redheaded girl sitting in there alone, making Holland smile.

"Excuse me?" The dark-haired girl said, gaining the other first year's attention, "Do you mind if I sit with you? It's rather crowded.

"Not at all," The girl shook her head, making Holland grin and sit across from her, "I'm Maxine Conoway." The redhead introduced herself.

"I'm Holland Lux," The Irish girl reciprocated, "It's lovely to meet you."