XCVIII. HALLOWEEN OF '81

HALLOWEEN OF '81!

OCTOBER 1981

• • • •

Holland smiled at the tick-or-treaters, waving them goodbye, before closing the door and walking back into the living room, where Remus, Margaret, Hugo, Maxine and Bronwyn were playing with the children.

"More trick-or-treaters?" Maxine asked, making Holland nod.

"For a house that's in the middle of the woods, you sure have a lot of people coming here tonight." Hugo said.

Holland chuckled, sitting with them on the floor, "It's because there's a Muggle village that's only a few minute walk from here," She explained, looking over at Regulus and Otto, who were in their fathers' arms, "The pumpkins? Again?"

"It's a tradition." Remus told her with a smirk.

"And look at the girls." Margaret grinned, making her best friend turn her head to look at Willow - who was in her mother's arms - and Nora, who was being held Bronwyn.

"They're so cute, all matching." Bronwyn cooed.

Holland couldn't help the smile, as she reached forwards, tickling her daughter's belly, making the girl smile and giggle, "Have Auntie Maggie and Auntie Bronwyn turned you into a little kitty cat?"

Bronwyn handed Nora over to Holland, watching the pair with a fond smile, "You know, before everything happened, Marls and I were going to adopt a child."

"Really?" Remus asked.

"Yeah." The brunette nodded sadly.

"Are you still going to?" Holland wondered.

Bronwyn nodded, "I think so. I've always wanted a child."

Maxine sent her a kind smile, placing her hand on top of her best friend's, "I think you'll be a great mother."

"Really?"

The redhead nodded, "Definitely."

"She's right, Bron," Margaret nodded, "I mean, look how great you are with out kids."

Bronwyn flushed red, "Thanks."

There was another knock on the door.

"More tick-or-treaters." Holland noted, beginning to stand up, Bronwyn stopping her.

"Would you mind if I did it this time?"

The Irish girl sent her friend a smile, "Go ahead."

***

Godric's Hollow was quiet on the cold Halloween night of 1981.

James and Lily Potter sat in Harry's room, playing happily with him.

It was the sound of the front door bursting open that made the couple's blood run cold.

***

Remus gave Hugo a thankful smile, as he helped the wizard put away the toys, whilst the girls were putting the children to bed.

"Right, they're down for the night." Margaret announced, as she, Holland, Bronwyn and Maxine re-entered the living room, kissing her husband's cheek.

"Good." Hugo smiled, wrapping his arm around Margaret's shoulders.

"They're all so cute with their chubby little cheeks and their tiny fingers and toes." Bronwyn gushed.

Holland sent her friend a teasing smile, "Are you fat shaming our children?"

Bronwyn laughed, "Oh, shut up."

A knock on the door quietened them down.

"It's a bit late for kids to still be out, isn't it?" Remus asked.

"Maybe they're older." Maxine shrugged, as Holland went to answer the door.

The Irish girl opened the beautiful, oak door, her eyebrows raising in surprise, "Professor Dumbledore?"

"Good evening, Miss Lux." The man greeted solemnly.

"Would you like to come in?"

"Please." Dumbledore nodded, making the girl step aside so that he could enter the cottage, leading him into the living room, where the others were all sat.

"Professor Dumbledore," Remus said in surprise, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm afraid I bring you all grave news."