LXXX. ALONE

ALONE!

MARCH 1979

MARCH 1979

• • • •

Holland sat on the sofa in the living room, reading Dracula, when she heard the front door open, making her smile at the fact that her husband was home.

"Hey." She called out.

No response.

"Mopsy and I are going to make dinner in about half an hour."

Still no response.

"Reg?"

The sound of sniffling made Holland turn around to see a broken looking Regulus standing in the doorway.

"Reg?" Holland asked softly, standing up from the sofa, placing the book on the coffee table.

"I figured it out."

Holland's face fell.

"You mean?"

"Yes." Regulus nodded.

"And you're going to-?"

"Yes."

Holland teared up, "You're not coming back, are you?"

"It's quite unlikely."

Holland's heart broke and tears started to fall, "No."

"Holly." Regulus said, stepping forward and reaching for her, crying as well.

"No, no, no, no, no," Holland mumbled, shaking her head, as she was brought into a tight embrace, "This isn't happening. This can't be happening."

"I know, Holly," Regulus sniffed, "But I have to do this. I need to."

"And our child needs their father," Holland told him, pulling away slightly to look at him, "I can't do this by myself."

"Yes you can," Regulus assured her, putting his hands either side of his wife's face, "And you are the strongest person I know. If anyone can do this, it's you."

More tears fell.

"I love you, Reggie."

The boy kissed her forehead, "I love you, too, Holly. Be with him."

Holland's eyebrows creased in confusion.

"What?"

"Remus. Be with him. You two are meant to be. He'll take care of you."

"Reg, I-"

He cut her off with a kiss.

"Goodbye, Holly."

"Goodbye, Reggie."

***

Holland's fingers shakily dialled a familiar number on the telephone and the girl gripped the phone to her ear as she waited for it to be picked up on the other side of the line.

"Hello?"

"Maggie." Holland sobbed.

"What happened?"

"I need you."

"I'm on my way."

The line went dead and Holland put the phone down.

Not even a second later the familiar sound of apparating whipped behind her, making the Irish girl turn around to see her best friend looking worriedly at her.

"Holly," Margaret gasped, taking the girl into her arms as she collapsed, sobbing, bringing the both of them to the floor, "What happened."

"Reggie." Holland choked out.

"Regulus?"

"He's gone."

"He left you?"

Holland shook her head, "Worse."

"Oh my God," Margaret muttered, bringing Holland closer, "Oh, Holly, I'm so sorry."

"We both knew there was a very high chance that he would come back, but when Kreacher came here and told me, I-"

The poor girl's sobbing cut her off.

"Come back from where?" Margaret asked softly, soothingly running her hands over the older girl's hair.

"He found a way to weaken Voldemort," Holland whispered, not trusting her voice, "He died a hero. And now I'm alone."

"You are not alone." The blonde told her, "You have people who love you and will help you get through this. Your family, Maxine, Bronwyn, James, Lily," She listed off, "You have me. You are not alone. And we'll all be here for you. Always."