XL. HOPEFULLY

HOPEFULLY!

JANUARY 1977

JANUARY 1977

6th Year

• • • •

Bronwyn let out a loud groan, faceplanting the table at lunch, making her friend's look at her, amused.

"Careful," Holland warned the brunette, "You don't want to faceplant into your lunch. Again."

"What's the self injury for this time?" Regulus asked the sixth year.

"The Charms essay that's due in thirty minutes," Maxine told the boy, "The one that she hasn't started. The one that we've had over a week to do."

Regulus stared at Bronwyn, "You haven't done it?"

Bronwyn lifted her head to look at the fifth year, "Who cares about knitting spells when the gouging spell or the reductor curse exist?" She asked.

Holland looked at her friend, "You know, there are times where you really unnerve me."

"Is it bad that I kind of take that as a compliment?" Bronwyn asked, making her friends laugh.

"Here," Holland chuckled, taking her own essay out of her bag and handing it over to her friend, "You can copy mine."

"You are literally a lifesaver." Bronwyn told the older girl.

"I swear, the world could be ending, and Holland letting someone copy her homework would save the world." Maxine chuckled, watching her best friend quickly and messily scribble her own interpretation of Holland's essay.

"Wouldn't surprise me." Regulus said, making Holland shake her head with a laugh.

"It's a tactic that I like to call 'Doing my homework the day it's due'," Holland said, "And I must say, it's rather effective."

Maxine nodded, "I've seen it with my own eyes. It's remarkable."

"See." Holland smiled, eating her strawberry.

***

Holland and Margaret sat at their usual table in the library, working on the Slytherin's Muggle Studies essay on electricity and how Muggles used it to change the way they lived.

"It's just so interesting." Holland muttered, making Margaret smile.

"From a wizard's perspective, it really is," The blonde girl nodded, as Holland smiled triumphantly from finishing her essay, putting it aside, "How is it being back here now?" Margaret asked her friend, "Going back to not being able to openly spend time with Remus and everyone else."

Holland sighed, "It's hard," She admitted, "You have no idea how badly I just want o tell everyone how much I love my boyfriend. But I can't."

The Hufflepuff looked at the girl sympathetically, grabbing the older girl's hand across the table and squeezing it in an attempt to comfort her, "I know. And I'm really sorry that you can't. One day, hopefully.

Holland nodded and smiled slightly, "One day."

***

Holland squeezed her boyfriend's hand as they walked through the Hogwarts corridors, doing their Prefect duties.

"So, tomorrow is Saturday the twenty ninth of January." Remus spoke up, lazily swinging their hands.

"Congratulations," Holland nodded with a smirk, "It's nice to know you're looking at your calendar."

Remus chuckled, "Which means it's your birthday." He continued.

"That it is," The girl smiled, "And you better not have gotten me anything."

"Of course I got you something," Remus said, as they turned a corner, "Why wouldn't I?"

"Well, you know, it's because my birthday is a month after Christmas, and I've just received lots of presents, so it makes me feel guilty, I guess," The Slytherin shrugged, "Getting more presents so quickly."

Remus smiled down lovingly at her.

"What?" Holland chuckled slightly.

"I love you." Remus just told her, making the Irish girl blush.

"I love you too." She said, before they continued walking.

As they turned the corner, the couple let go of each other's hand, seeing a pair of fourth year Hufflepuffs snogging, immediately breaking apart upon seeing the sixth years.

"Uh, w-we were just." One of them stuttered, making the Prefects share a look.

"Get back to your Common Room," Remus told the two, "That's five points each taken away."

"And detention," Holland added, "And if you don't go back to your Common Room then trust me, we'll know."

Holland and Remus shared a small smile as they watched the embarrassed fourth years scurry away.

"You know," The Gryffindor started, once again interlocking their fingers as they continued their round, "If we weren't Prefects, that'd probably be us."

Holland nodded with a small laugh, "Probably."