LXXIV. AN INSECURE LOVE

AN INSECURE LOVE!

AUGUST 1978

• • • •

"Are you seriously packing now?" Regulus asked his wife, watching her from the bed with a fond smile.

Holland smiled back at the younger boy, placing a pair of his shoes in one of their trunks, "You know I like to be prepared."

"That I do," Regulus nodded, reaching forward to grab the girl's wrist and bring her to lie down beside him, "But we only have three days left, so let's enjoy our time here."

Holland let out a sigh, cuddling into him, "You're right," She nodded, looking out at the sunset through the large, open window, "This place is just so amazing."

"Yeah." Regulus nodded, following her gaze as he played with her hair.

"Imagine being able to live here." Holland said in awe.

"Well, maybe one day we will." Regulus told the Irish girl, making her look up at him with a smile.

She placed a soft kiss on his lips, "I can't wait."

Lying under the covers, the couple watched the sun set over the Italian sea, Holland humming to the song being played on the record as the moon illuminated the night's sky.

"Thank you." Regulus spoke up.

"For what?"

"Everything. For looking after me all these years, for not hating me for what I've done. For letting someone like me love someone as brilliant as you."

Holland looked up at Regulus, gently tracing his face with her index finger as she looked at him in the candlelight, "You say that as if you think that you don't deserve love."

Regulus sighed, playing with his fingers.

"You don't actually think that, do you?"

"I don't know," Regulus groaned, standing up, causing Holland to sit up from her lying position, "I definitely don't deserve you." He said, crossing his arms.

Holland let out a soft sigh, biting her lip as she slowly reached out to uncross her husband's arms, rolling up his left sleeve, "Is that becuase of this?"

Regulus frowned, looking down at his feet.

"Hey," Holland whispered, standing up, hooking her finger under his chin to direct his gaze at her, "Look at me," She said when he wouldn't meet her eyes, "You deserve to be loved. You deserve to be happy and that stupid thing on your arm doesn't change that or the fact that I love you."

Regulus looked at her with teary eyes, "I'll never be as good for you as he was."

Holland sighed, putting her hands on either side of Regulus' face, "Remus," She let out a sigh, "Remus was my past. you are my present and my future. And if you can't see how much you deserve my heart, then I will do my best everyday that I can to prove to you that you do deserve my love. That and so much more."

Regulus smiled down at his wife, "I love you. And I will never stop trying to prove that to you."

The older girl smiled back at him, "I love you too," She said, kissing him, "All of you." She added, running her thumb over the mark on his left arm.

Regulus wiped away a few stray tears, before wrapping his arms around her waist and lifting her back into the bed, "I'll never let you go."

Holland smiled, cuddling into him, "Good."