XXI. TEARS OF THE INNOCENT

TEARS OF THE INNOCENT!

NOVEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • •

Coming out of Muggle Studies, Holland let a smile make its way onto her face, as she caught up with Bronwyn, linking arms with the girl.

"What's got you so upbeat?" Bronwyn chuckled at her friend.

"It's November 30th." Holland stated.

"Well done." Her Slytherin friend told her.

"It's December tomorrow," Holland continued, still receiving a blank stare, "It's nearing Christmas."

"Oh, right," Bronwyn nodded, "I forgot about that. I've got a lot on my mind." She mumbled.

"I can tell," The Irish girl gave her friend a sad smile, "About the other night-"

"I want just to forget about it," Bronwyn interrupted her, "What's the point of lingering on someone who will never like you back?"

Holland gazed up at her friend, "You know I'm always here for you, right?"

Bronwyn gave the girl a smile and nod, "I know."

Turning the corner of the corridor, the pair came to a sudden stop.

In front of them stood Avery, Mulciber and Rosier taunting a first year Ravenclaw boy, the word 'Mudblood' being said many a time and his bag being thrown around between the three. Holland's heart broke at the sight of his bloody nose and ters running down his rosy cheeks.

Having enough, Holland looked over at Maxine, who had joined them in the corridor, "Max, get them to stop." She told the redhead.

"Why me?" The girl asked.

"Because one of those pigs is the guy that you call your boyfriend." The Irish girl answered.

Maxine sighed, nodding, before walking over to the three bullies, grabbing her boyfriend's am after he had just caught the leather bag, "Cone on, Ev, you've had your fun, "Let's just go back to the Common Room."

Rosier looked between his girlfriend and the first year, before nodding begrudgingly, chucking the boy's bag at his feet, taking Maxine's hand and exiting the corridor, Mulciber, Avery, Holland and Bronwyn following.

Holland then suddenly stopped, making her friends turn back to look at her.

"I just realised that I left my textbook back in class," She told her friends, "You guys go ahead, I'll catch up with you later."

Not waiting for a reply, the Slytherin turned on her heel and started navigating her way through the castle. The girl slowed down her movements as she entered the corridor she and he friends were in prior, slowly walking over to the crying Ravenclaw, who was now sitting on one of the stone benches, being comforted by one of his friends.

Upon hearing the sound of Holland's footsteps, the pair looked up, staring cautiously at the Irish girl.

Holland licked her lips anxiously, playing with her hands, "Are-Are you alright?" She asked the still crying boy.

The boy sniffled, "Fine." He whispered.

"No thanks to your friends." His friend told the sixth year.

Holland sighed, sadly, "I'm really sorry about them. I don't even consider them as my friends. They're vile," She told the pair. Her eyes then landed on the boy's bloody nose. Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a white handkerchief, kneeling down in front of the Ravenclaws, "May I?" She asked, and the boy nodded, making Holland bring the handkerchief up to the boy's nose, lightly dabbing at the blood around his nose. After clearing away all the red liquid that came from the poor boy, she looked up at the boy and girl, "What are your names?" The Irish girl inquired.

"Ellie Greenwood." The boy's friend told her.

"Jack Sullivan." The brunette answered.

Holland stared at the boy, "You're Maggie's brother?"

Jack blinked at the girl, "You know Peggy?"

Holland nodded, "Her and I are actually quite good friends," She told him, "But you can't tell anyone that."

Jack nodded with a small smile, "Okay."

"Can I ask you something?" Ellie spoke up, making Holland and Jack turn to the blonde.

"Go on." Holland smiled.

"Why don't you act like this in front of them?" The girl questioned, making Holland's smile turn into a frown, "Is it because they'd bully you too?"

Holland looked down, licking her lips, before looking back up at the first year's, "That has something to do with it," She told them, "I also find that I can do more for those they bully if they think I side with them, which I don't," She finished, before standing up, "If they ever bully either of you again, let me know and I will put a stop to it straight away."

"Okay." The Ravenclaws nodded.

"I'm always here." Holland told the pair, giving them a parting smile, before turning and walking back to her Common Room, unknowing of the spectacled boy standing at the end of the corridor.