LXXXVII. FULL MOON NERVES

FULL MOON NERVES!

JUNE 1979

• • • •

"You look nervous." Colleen, one of Holland's co-workers told her during her shift at the shop.

"Just have a stressful night ahead of me," Holland shrugged with a small smile, before a customer entered the small shop, "Good afternoon, Mrs Appleby." She greeted the old lady.

"Hello there, Holland," Mrs Appleby grinned, "How has your day been?"

"It's been good, thank you," Holland nodded, as she got the woman's usual order ready, "And you?"

"I've had a lively day, thank you, Dear," The old woman smiled, getting some coins out of her bag, "Here you go." She handed them over to the Irish girl.

"Thank you." Holland said, putting the money in the til, as Mrs Appleby tilted her head.

"Is something troubling you, Dear?"

Holland sighed, "It's just my boyfriend."

"Ah, the tall, handsome brunette."

"Yes," Holland chuckled, "He and his friends, they, uh, they have to do something that's kind of dangerous tonight and I'm worried about him. All of them, actually, that's all."

"I wouldn't worry, Dear," Mrs Appleby told Holland, taking the bunch of flowers from the girl, "I'm sure everything will be fine. Butterscotch?"

Holland smiled, taking the hard candy from the woman, "Thanks, Mrs Appleby. I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Dear."

The girl let out a soft sigh as the old lady left the shop, turning back to her work, when the bell above the door rang again, making her look up with a smile.

"Hey." She grinned, walking around the counter.

"Hey." A tired Remus smiled, kissing his girlfriend.

"How're you feeling?" She asked.

"Tired. You?"

"I-I'm fine." Holland nodded.

"Holly, you can't lie to me." Remus told the girl, giving her a soft look.

Holland bit her lip, "I'm just nervous about tonight, that's all."

"Don't be. It'll all be fine," Remus assured her, "In the meantime, can I convince you to take your lunch break now and go get something ot eat with me?" He asked with a cheeky smile.

Holland chuckled, "Of course."

***

A cold wind swept through the woods, as Holland, Lily, Maxine, Bronwyn and Margaret sat on some logs, waiting out the night ahead, whilst Marlene was back at the manor with Regulus.

"Holls, please stop shaking your leg," Bronwyn told her friend, "You're giving me anxiety."

Holland's leg stilled, "Sorry, I'm just really nervous."

"It's okay," Lily said, taking her best friend's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, "I get it. I am too."

"So is this what you guys all did after we left Hogwarts?" Maxine asked, "Stayed in the woods, just in case."

Margaret nodded, running a hand over her large baby bump, "It also makes it easier to help them get back home if any of them get hurt."

"How bad has it gotten?" Holland nervously questioned.

Bronwyn sighed, "After the two of you split up, it got bad for a while. Really bad."

Seeing Holland's frown, Margaret quickly added, "But after you and him got talking again, it got much better."

Holland nervously played with his fingers, "Right."

"It wasn't your fault when it got bad, Holls." Lily told the girl, putting a comforting hand on your shoulder, "He was just so upset and needed somewhere to let it out. And he just happened to let it out on himself."

Holland nodded slightly, "I know."

A loud howl made the five girls' heads snap up, all them moving to stand up.

"That was closer than usual." Bronwyn noted.

"Do you think that means he got out of the shack?" Maxine asked.

Holland shrugged, "I don't know."

The sound of a dog whimpering echoed through the woods, making Margaret move to run forward, only to be held back by Maxine.

"Max!" Margaret exclaimed, looking back at the girl.

"I'm not letting you go there and get you - or your baby - hurt." The redhead told her.

"She's right," Holland nodded, gently taking Margaret's hand in her own, "All any of us can do is just sit and wait until the morning."