LXVII. SIX MONTHS LEFT

SIX MONTHS LEFT!

JANUARY 1978

7th Year

• • • •

It was the first day back to Hogwarts after the Christmas break, and rather than going to the feast, Maxine and Holland sat on the leather sofas in the Slytherin Common Room, sitting in a sad silence.

Their heads only lifted up when the door to the Common Room opened and their fellow peers had arrived from the feast, Regulus making a direct beeline for the two girls.

"I brought you two muffins." He told the pair, handing them a chocolate chip muffin each, as he took a seat next to his fiancée.

"Thanks, Reg." Maxine grinned at the younger boy, taking a bite.

"Yeah, thanks, Reg." Holland muttered, picking at the wrapper of the muffin.

"Hey," A voice said, making the trio turn around to see Bronwyn smiling at them nervously, "You guys weren't at the feast.

The three of them shared a look.

Bronwyn's face fell, "What?"

"Look, Bron, we've talked to Slughorn, and we've decided that it's best if you swap dorm with two sixth years." Maxine bit the bullet.

"W-What?" Bronwyn asked, "Why?"

"We just want you to be happy, Bron," Holland told the younger girl, still picking at her muffin wrapper, "And you can't be happy if you're still trying to be friends with us."

"Look, just because you and Remus broke up, that doesn't mean that we can't stay friends." Bronwyn said to Holland.

Holland sighed, "It's more complicated than that."

"Then explain it to me so that I can understand!" Bronwyn cried.

"Hey, Reg, Holland," Flint called out, as he walked past the four of them, "Congratulations. Can't wait to come to the wedding." He said, before going up to the dormitories.

Bronwyn stared at the pair, "Y-You're engaged?" She spluttered, her eyes falling onto Holland's left hand, where a beautiful, expensive, sapphire engagement ring sat, "That's why you broke up with Remus."

"It's like I said," Holland shrugged, as she Maxine and Regulus stood up, "It's more complicated than that."

***

Holland and Maxine laughed with each other, as they collected their equipment after Transfiguration, going to leave when Professor McGonagall's voice stopped them.

"Miss Lux, may I speak with you for a moment?" The woman called out from her desk.

"I'll see you in The Great Hall." Maxine told her friend, who nodded as the redhead left the classroom.