XVII. SOMETHING OFF

SOMETHING OFF!

NOVEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Holland eyed her boyfriend carefully, as they sat on the floor in the Room of Requirement during their free period, studying. The tired looking boy felt her stare, making him look up and smile kindly at the girl.

"You okay?" He questioned.

"Something's off with you." Holland stated.

"I've just not slept much lately." Remus shrugged, continuing to write his essay in his messy handwriting.

"Is it to do with your mother?" Holland asked.

"Uh, yeah." Remus nodded.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

Holland sighed, moving her work off of her lap, doing the same with Remus', moving to sit in front of him, taking his face in her hands, gently rubbing her delicate fingers over the bags under his eyes.

"Sweet, sweet Remus," She whispered, as he leaned into her inviting touch, "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

Remus smiled, frowning inside, "I know."

"I'm always here."

"I know."

Holland smiled, hugging the boy, who immediately hugged back, nuzzling into her.

"I think I like the tired you," Holland chuckled, "You're snugglier."

Remus laughed, "The things you come up with," He smiled, looking at her, "You're so pulchritudinous."

Holland let out a laugh, shaking her head, "Shut up."

***

Putting Frankenstein back on the shelf, Holland let out a huff as she looked for her next read, when a chin rested itself on her shoulder, making the Irish girl jump, chuckling once she saw the redhead behind her.

"Hi." Holland grinned, hugging her friend.

"Hi," Lily said, hugging her back, "How are you?"

"I'm doing really well thanks, you?"

Lily nodded, "Spectacular," She answered, eyeing the girl in front of her, "Something's changed about you."

"What?" The Slytherin questioned, suddenly feeling self-conscious.

"Oh, no, not in a bad way," The redhead quickly shook her head, "I mean, you look happier."

"Oh," Holland realised, "Yeah, I've felt much happier lately than I did a few months ago."

Lily gave her a smile, "I'm glad," She told her sincerely, "Have you been invited to the Slug Club dinner party next week?"

"Oh, yeah, I have," Holland nodded, "Sluggy seems really excited about it."

"He's such an odd man." Lily chuckled.

"Agreed." Holland joined in the laughter.

"And, um, if you're looking for a book, I recommend 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'." The Muggle-Born suggested, taking the said book off of the shelf, giving it to her friend, who grinned, looking down at the book.

"Brilliant. Thank you.

"Anytime. See you later."

"See you later."

***

"You seem on edge." Holland told Bronwyn, as the pair walker down the corridor, heading for the Common Room.

"Really? What makes you say that?" Bronwyn asked.

"Just the clenching of your jaw, the way you're stiffly walking and the fact that your hands are bawled into your fist." Holland shrugged.

Bronwyn looked down, unclenching her fists, "Oh, right."

"It's about Max and Rosier, isn't it?" The raven-haired girl asked, knowingly, "That's why you wanted to leave lunch as quick as possible, wasn't it. I see the way you look at her, Bron. And I know you smelt her perfume in the Amortentia potion. I'm not stupid."

Bronwyn looked at her feet, ashamed.

"I don't think differently of you," Holland told her, grabbing the younger girl's arm, pulling them both to a stop, "I don't. You're still the same person, and I'm going to be here every step of the way in your journey. You're not alone."

Bronwyn smiled, grabbing her friend and pulling her into a tight hug, "Thank you." She whispered.

"No need to thank me," Holland said, stepping out of the embrace, "I'm your friend. Supporting you is my job."

"Lux!" A voice called, making the pair turn to see James jogging over to them.

"See you at the Common Room." Bronwyn told the girl, making her nod.

"Everything alright?" Holland raised an eyebrow at her fellow Captain.

"Uh, yeah, Remus just wanted me to tell you that he won't be able to to his Prefect rounds tonight." James told her.

"How come?" Holland questioned, eyebrows drawn in confusion.

"His mum's ill, so he's going to visit her." The boy shrugged.

"Oh, okay," The Irish girl muttered, "Thanks for letting me know," She said, before starting to walk off, worried for her boyfriend, before she turned around, "Oh, and Potter."

"Yeah."

"Good luck against Hufflepuff tomorrow."

"We don't need luck. But thanks."