XC. CHRISTMAS OF '79

CHRISTMAS OF '79!

DECEMBER 1979

• • • •

Holland lay in bed with Remus. It was Christmas Eve and she was too excited to stay awake.

However, Remus' constant tossing and turning next to her was beginning to get rather irritating.

"Rem." She groaned.

"Yeah?"

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Then why can't you lie still?"

"Just trying to find a comfortable position," Remus muttered into his pillow, "That's all. Sorry if I woke you."

"You didn't wake me," Holland shook her head, "I was already awake."

Remus turned over, pulling his girlfriend into him, "Holly, you need sleep."

"I know, I'm just excited for Christmas," The Irish girl admitted, "And you're one to talk."

"What do you mean?"

"I know you've not been sleeping lately, Remy," Holland told him, "You say you are, but I know you're not. Just like how I can't lie to you, you can't lie to me. I know when you're lying, too."

Remus let out a sigh, "I'm just," He whispered, "I'm just scared."

"What?" Holland asked, sitting up and turning on the lamp on her bedside table, Remus blinking rapidly from the sudden light.

"Okay, next time, I would like to be prepared before I'm blinded." He muttered, also sitting up.

"Sorry," Holland apologised, before turning towards him, "But Rem, why are you scared."

She watched him closely as he gently ran his fingers over her five month baby bump, looking at it solemnly.

"You're scared you're going to hurt the baby?" Holland whispered.

Remus gulped, nodding, "Yeah. Yeah, I am."

"Rem, we've talked about this."

"I know, I know," Remus sighed, leaning his head back on the headboard, "I just. I just don't want to hurt my family because of what I am."

"Remus John Lupin," Holland said slowly and calmly, hooking her finger under his chin so that he would look at her, "First of all, you are a who. Not a what. You are a human being with a caring, beating heart. You just go through something once a month. Happens to us girls." She shrugged with a soft smile.

Remus chuckled, wrapping an arm around her waist.

"And second. Hurt your family? Rem, you would never."

"But-"

"Have you hurt Reggie?"

"No."

"Have you hurt Lily?"

"No."

"Have you hurt me?"

Remus shook his head, "No."

"And you never will," Holland assured the boy, putting a loving hand on his cheek, "Because, you, Remus are no monster. You are a kind, funny, amazing Dad, who - I'm going to remind you once again - folds his socks."

Remus smiled softly at her, "I love you so much."

Holland pecked his lips, "I love you too. Now, can we please go to sleep, because I don't want to be a zombie at the Christmas party."

***

'Jingle Bell Rock' played in the ballroom of the manor, as Holland went round, serving the guests drinks.

"Fire whiskey?" She offered to Bronwyn, Mary, Maxine and Marlene.

"Ooh, yes." Maxine grinned, each girl taking two shots each off of the tray, making Holland raise an eyebrow.

"We're drinking for both you and Lily tonight," Mary explained, "We've gotta stock up." Holland chuckled, putting the tray down, before starting a conversation with her friends.

Meanwhile, across the room, Remus was in a conversation with James, Peter and Lily, his eyes watching Holland as she moved around.

"Oh, our little Moony's so in love." James cooed, pinching his friend's cheeks.

"Oh, piss off," Remus chuckled, pushing James away, "And you're hardly one to talk. Ever since Lily took Regulus, you've hardly been able to look away."

"Oh, they grow up so fast, Wormtail," Sirius said to Peter, "One one day they're pranking Snivellous, the next, they're both Dads. Oh, how time flies!" He dramatically exclaimed.

"Are you drunk?" Holland asked the shaggy-haired boy, as she walked up to the four.

"No, why?" Sirius asked with a smile, his dramatic flare gone as he looked innocently at the girl.

Holland chuckled, shaking her head, before lightly tugging on the sleeve of Remus' shirt, "Wanna dance? I know you love this song?"

Remus grinned, "Sure." He nodded, letting her gently drag him over to where the rest of the couples were dancing.

"In loooooove." The rest of the Marauders teased him.

The couple rolled their eyes as they began to dance.

"They're right, you know." Remus told his girlfriend.

"About what?"

"I am madly, deeply, unequivocally in love with you, Holland Lux."

Holland blushed, before going on her tiptoes and placing a sweet kiss on his lips.

"And I am madly, deeply, unequivocally in love with you too, Remus Lupin."