Chapter Thirty : Valentine's Day

2008 February 14

Evelyn woke up with a smile on her face that day.  Today was Valentine's Day otherwise known as her birthday.  Although her family had started a tradition when they had grown up and celebrated their birthday for a whole week.  It was something fun that Natasha and Peter started doing and they ended up continuing with it.  

Each day Natasha and Peter had given Evelyn a present.  One of them was a new Chanel handbag that she had been eyeing.  It was a black pleated one with gold chains.  She was absolutely chuffed to bits as she loved it so much.  Another was a spa day for just her as her mum claimed she was working too much and needed to relax, otherwise she might develop wrinkles early on, to which Evelyn laughed out loud at that claim.  Jake and Mia had gifted her another edition of the Harry Potter books that had recently come out, not that she really needed more, but nonetheless she was still absolutely thrilled.  

Evelyn had never been a fan of Valentine's Day holiday in general and she was always grateful her birthday fell on the stupid holiday every year so that it could be a reminder of the day she was born instead.  She never understood why people needed one day a year to remind their significant other how much they mean to the other.  Evelyn thought it should be shown every day otherwise why would you still be with that person?

William and Harry were both away due to the military and whilst Evelyn had been sad about it at first and had given herself a weekend to be down about it - she picked herself up after that.  Because in the end she really had nothing to be sad about.  She was proud of her boyfriend for serving his country as well as his brother and the meeting between both families went extremely well and they were both chuffed to bits about it.  

On the day of her birthday she heard a knock at her door.  Her eyebrows furrowed as she knew she wasn't expecting anyone.  Not that she knew of at least.  William had surprised her before but she knew that the military wouldn't allow him back home just for his girlfriends birthday even if he was the prince.  Besides, he didn't ever like to use his titles to get what he wanted anyway.  He was much too modest for that.  And that was one of the things Evelyn and her family loved most about him.  Was how normal he actually was.

"Is there a Ms. Evelyn Bennett here?" the post man asked the blonde.

"Yes," she nodded her head.  "That's me."

"Oh please sign here," he handed her the stylist pen to which she signed and he handed her a parcel to which she thanked him before he left.

The parcel was quite large in size as she had trouble carrying it.  Laying it down on her kitchen counter, she got a knife and cut the parcel open revealing a slim black cardboard box with a white bow on it as well as a note.  Opening the note she read it.

Happy 25th Birthday, my darling.  I wish I could be there with you tonight to celebrate you.  I promise I'll make it up to you when I return or am able to Skype with you soon.  I really hope you enjoy wearing this tonight and next time I take you out.  I love you.

- William xx

Eve could feel her eyes start to blur slightly due to the water of tears forming in them.  She held the note close to her heart as she was thinking how much she missed her boyfriend.  And how caring and thoughtful he was.  He must've had Charles or someone over at Buckingham Palace have it sent because Evelyn knew that with him in the military he wasn't able to send any mail except letters only.  She would keep the note and the ribbon for later to put in her keepsake box full of memories of the two of them she had in her closet.  Inside the black box was a gorgeous black dress.  Taking it out, she held it up, staring at it in wonder.