Chapter One - The Betrayal

Spring 2007

It was another long exhausting day at work in the office.  She was putting the finishing touches on her spring line before it was released to the world and she had another fashion show to showcase her designs.  This year was all about pastels and floral.  She knew the high expectations that there were for her line this year.

It was enough to send her into another frenzy.  

Lately she had been all about work and no time for anything but that.  She felt bad that she hadn't made any time for those close to her: fiancé, friends and family.  But she was lucky enough to know that they understood.  Especially her father.

She grew up with a father who was the CEO of his own brand - Bennett & Co.  He made mainly high end watches, tuxedos and cologne.  He had been in the business for over thirty years and she had learned from the best, her dad.  He had been there to cheer her on through everything.  From the first person who turned her designs down to her line now being sold in stores like H&M and Anthropologie.  He was her number one fan, always.  

She had met her fiancé, Liam Matthews a year and a half ago when he starred in a movie called Lie With Me.  She had been invited to attend the premiere of the film.  First, because of her name she was very well known across the United Kingdom and the United States.  Secondly, the wardrobe people on set had reached out to her whilst they were filming and asked to use some of her dresses.  She happily agreed and had them sent over right away by her assistant.  

When she met the lead actor of the film, Liam Matthews, she fell for him right away.  He was tall, handsome and they got on well.  Unfortunately, with Liam being an actor, he's gone a lot and not always there for Evelyn when she needs him or just wants to be with him.  But she didn't care.  She loved him anyway and said yes instantly regardless of her families hesitation of the guy.  They didn't care if he was an A-list actor.  They knew his track record with women, mostly from their friends and people who worked with him.

They never said anything to Evelyn though.  They wanted her to be happy and they knew that she wouldn't believe them.  No matter how much she adored her family.  She grew up with five siblings, four of them being brothers.  

"How are we doing, Eve?" Samantha, Eve's assistant asked as she brought her boss her usual coffee.

Samantha Cunning had been Evelyn's assistant from the very start of her company.  She was detailed-oriented, hard working, and always took notes to whatever Evelyn needed her to do which Evelyn appreciated.  She hadn't had any prior experience to being an assistant, but Evelyn took a chance on her and she was so lucky she did.  She's been a big help to her ever since.  Unlike Evelyn, Samantha was tall around five foot eleven.  She had red hair and freckles that speckled on her porcelain skin and wore glasses as she wasn't able to see without them.  Samantha was married to an architect for ten years and his name is Hamish.  They have two boys: Noah who is seven and Mark who is five.  Evelyn has been close friends with Samantha and her family outside of their jobs for years.  

"Thanks, Sam.  You are the best!  We're doing pretty good.  Almost done with the finishing touches and should be done for next week's show.  I should have asked you a couple of weeks ago but did you get the invitations sent out for the guests that are invited?"

This year her fashion show was being held at The Royal Opera House.  She was very honoured to have her show there as it was the first time ever she would be.

"Already done, Eve.  I also used the calligraphy on the cards like you requested."

"Excellent.  Thank you so much, Sam, honestly.  Oh - what about the flowers and the other props to set up?"