Chapter Five - The truth of the matter

Evelyn was back at her sister's apartment that she was staying at with her after having a nice night with her parents and dog, Bran.  She had received Jake's message and was quite nervous.  

She was meeting up with Jake today, to be honest a little afraid of what might come from this.  

"Hi Jake," she greeted him with a small smile as he hugged her.

Jake was older than her being thirty-two years old.  He had short curly brown hair, he was tall, had a long nose, defining cheekbones and a muscular build.  All in all, he was handsome.  

"Evelyn," he greeted back.  "I would say it's nice to see you again but given the circumstances..."

She would have laughed at that if she hadn't known what this meeting was about.  It was about Liam and Blair.

Evelyn and Jake took their seats and scanned over their menus.  He kept glancing at her, unsure of where to start with why he wanted her here today.  The waitress came to order their drinks and their food.

"Mind if I smoke?" He said wanting to check with her first.

"Go ahead," she nodded her head as she watched him take a cancer stick out and lit it, slowly puffing out the smoke as he fought with how he should go about this.

"So," Jake cleared his throat.  "I'm sure you're wondering why I called you here."

"That might have crossed my mind," said Eve.  "But I figured it had to do with Blair and Liam."

"The truth of the matter is that we both got the shitty end of the whole debacle," Jake concluded to his good friend as he shrugged his shoulders taking another sip of his beer.  "You know as well as I do that we have never shagged.  Not once," he hold up his pointer finger to make a point.  "Bloody hell if I'm going to just sit back and take it."

"What do you reckon you're going to do?" Evelyn asked with curiosity and slight annoyance.  She wasn't sure what she was more annoyed at.  The fact that she hadn't seen it sooner that her ex-best friend used her or the fact that she was blind enough not to see it.  "Go to the tabloids and have a tell-all interview?  That won't go down quite well, will it?"

Evelyn was never one to complain especially to the tabloids.  Damned if she would sell her soul that far to the devil.  You'd have to be an idiot bloke to do that!

"Why's that so bad, hm?" Jake questioned her.  "It's letting the media know what really happened."

"Jake, regardless of what happened, there's always going to be people who believe those bloody tabloids.  No matter what.  You can't make everyone happy.  It wasn't just you this happened to.  It was me too."

"I know," he let out a frustrated sigh as he rubbed his face frustrated with the dilemma they were put in but also understanding Evelyn's point of view.

The tabloids were told lies about not only their character but also were possibly destroying their reputations knowing fully that there would always be people who believed them.  They didn't care who they hurt as long as they got a story out there that was interesting and would make money.  She had learned from her dad at an early age never try to take it personally what they say about you.  Although sometimes she did.  Especially this.

"Well even though I don't know what will come of this, I do know one thing.  You deserve the best, Evelyn.  You really do."

"Thank you Jake," she said with a small smile.  "You deserve the best too."

Now that she thought about it, she remembered that she always did feel bad for Jake when he was dating Blair.  Even though she loved Blair she always felt like he got the short end of the stick in the relationship.