Chapter Nine - Family gatherings

Sunday night

Sunday night

The Cambridge family had gotten ready and was now heading off to Evelyn's parents home.  She was dressed in a dark forest green silk pussybow blouse from Saint Laurent and paired them with black elastic skinny trousers.  They gave her enough room to breathe and not feel like she was suffocating.  To finish off the look she wore black flats to give her feet a break from the heels.  

It was dressier than what she normally wore to the family dinners but it also hid what little weight she was gaining.

In her hands was a painting that Evelyn had created of her mum's wedding bouquet.   It was a bouquet filled with white hydrangeas and greenery vines surrounding it.  She had learnt to paint a few years ago and has found it very therapeutic.  She didn't really know how to explain her style but if she had to put into words she'd have to say it was messy with a side of not messy.  She didn't just paint flowers.  Evelyn also did seasonal paintings that she would gift her family and friends.  This year she already knew what she was gifting everyone for Christmas as she was painting every family something special.  She already started working on The Queen's and Prince Philip's painting as it was going to be of their dogs and walking along the pond with Her Majesty and Prince Philip walking in tow.  It was her most time consuming work that she was creating at the moment but she hoped they would love it.

Evelyn liked to plan out her Christmas gifts months in advance, especially her paintings.  Giving her enough time to create them without the rush feeling.  She was also painting circular wooden baubles for everyone that had Christmas flowers and candy canes, or gingerbread and nutcrackers on them with Mistletoe or Holly.  It was something that truly brought her joy to do outside of her work.

"It's pretty," Spencer commented as he pointed at his mum's painting.  At the bottom of the right hand corner was Evelyn's signature.

"You think so?" Evelyn asked her son with a smile on her face.  "D'you think nana will love it?"

"Yes!" He nodded his hand and she kissed his cheek as she ran her fingers through his blonde hair.  

"Thank you darling."

"I agree with Spencer," William complimented his wife's artistic skills.  "Very professional looking.  If you weren't doing your current job, I think you could make money off them."

"Thanks, William," she kissed him on the lips quickly before her mum opened the door.

"Hello everyone," Natasha greeted the Cambridge family.  "Come in, come in."

As the family of five came into the warm, inviting home, Natasha hugged all of the grandchildren and then hugged and kissed the cheeks of both Evelyn and William.  

"This is for you, mum," Evelyn said as she held out the painting for her mum to see and Natasha let out a small gasp.

"Oh my sweet girl.  It's beautiful!  Thank you so much.  I love it," Natasha said as she took it gently from her daughter and hugged her.