𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙮

After I reunited with harry, ron and hermione, we went up to the owlery to find ron's owl, pigwidgeon, so that harry could send sirius a letter, telling him that he had managed to get past his dragon. On the way here, harry told ron all about karkaroff being a death eater. Ron was completely shocked, but I wasn't. I used to press my ear up against mother and father's door and listen to them talk to each other. I know everyone that is or used to be death eaters.

"Fits, doesn't it?" Ron said. "Remember what malfoy said on the train, about his dad being friends with karkaroff? Now we know where they knew each other. They were probably running around in masks together at the world cup... I'll tell you one thing, harry, if it was karkaroff who put your name in the goblet, he's going to be feeling really stupid now, isn't he? Didn't work, did it? You only got a scratch! Come here - I'll do it-"

Ron tied the letter to pigwidgeon's leg. I giggled at the sight of how exited this little owl was to be delivering a letter.

"There's no way any of the other tasks are going to be that dangerous, how could they be?" Ron went on. Hermione and I shared a look with each other. "You know what? I reckon you could win this tournament, harry, I'm serious."

Hermione folded he arms, leaned against the owlery wall, and frowned at ron. "Harry's got a long way to go before he finishes this tournament. If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next."

"Little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" Ron said. "You and professor trelawney should get together some time."

"Oh, ron. You remember last year. How hermione basically called her stupid, and walked out of her class."

Ron grinned. "Something that will forever be in my head."

Ron threw pigwidgeon out the window. Pigwidgeon plummeted twelve feet before managing to pull himself back up again; the letter attached to his leg was much longer and heavier than usual.

"Well, we'd better get downstairs for your surprise party harry. Fred and george should have nicked enough food from the kitchens by now." Ron said.

~

Sure enough, when we entered the gryffindor common room it exploded with cheers and yells again. There were mountains of cakes and flagons of pumpkin juice and butterbeer on every surface; lee jordan had let off some dr. Filibuster's fabulous no heat, wet start fireworks, so that the air was thick with stars and sparks; and dean thomas, who was very good at drawing, had put up some impressive new banners, most of which depicted harry zooming around the horntail's head on his firebolt, though a couple showed cedric with his head on fire.

I sat next to my friends, with some food in my lap. It felt good to have the four of us together again.

"Blimey, this is heavy." Lee said, picking up the golden egg, which harry had left in the table, and weighing it in his hands. "Open it, harry, go on! Let's just see what's inside it!"

"He's supposed to work out the clue on his own." Hermione said. "It's in the tournament rules."

"Hermione, how much do you wanna bet that cedric, fleur or krum aren't opening it for everyone right now?" I raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Yeah, and I was supposed to work out how to get past the dragon on my own, too." Harry muttered.

"Yeah, go on, harry, open it!" Several people yelled.

Lee passed Harry the egg, and harry turned the top, which had a form like an owl, and it opened. There was glass inside formed like the egg and had bubbles - but the moment harry opened it, the most horrible noise, a loud and screechy wailing, filled the room. My hands clamped over my ears, hoping to block out some of the horrendous noise.

"Shut it!" Fred bellowed.

"What was that?" Seamus said, staring at the egg as harry slammed it shut again. "Sounded like a banshee... maybe you've got to get past one of those next, harry!"

"It was someone being tortured!" Neville had gone very white. "You're going to have to fight the cruciatus curse!"

"Neville, that's illegal." My voice was soft for him. "They wouldn't use the cruciatus curse on the champions."

"I thought it sounded a bit like percy singing... maybe you've got to attack him while he's in the shower, harry." George suggested.

"Want a jam tart, y/n?" Fred offered.

I looked skeptically at the plate he was offering me. Fred grinned.

"It's alright." He said. "I haven't done anything to them. It's the custard creams you've got to watch-"

Neville, who had just bitten into a custard cream, choked and spat it out.

Fred laughed. "Just my little joke, neville..."

I took a jam tart and bit into it.

Hermione walked over to us. "Did you get all this from the kitchens, fred?" Here we go again.

"Yep." He grinned. He put on a high pitched squeak and imitated a house elf. "'Anything we can get you, sir, anything at all!' They're dead helpful... get me a roast ox if I said I was peckish."

"How do you get in there!" Something is going on in her mind, I can tell.

"Easy, concealed door behind a painting of a bowl of fruit. Just tickle the pear, and it giggles and-" He stopped and looked suspiciously at her. "Why?"

"Nothing." She said too quickly.

"Going to try and lead the house elves out on a strike now, are you?" George joined in. "Going to give up all the leaflet stuff and try and stir them up into rebellion?"

"Don't you go upsetting them and telling them they've got to take clothes and salaries!" Fred warned. "You'll put them off their cooking!"

"He's right, hermione." I nodded my head.

Just then, neville caused a slight diversion by turning into a large canary.

"Oh, dear."

"Oh - sorry, neville!" Fred shouted over all the laughter. "I forgot - it was the custard creams we hexed."

Within a minute, neville had molted, and once his feathers had fallen off, he reappeared looking entirely normal. He even joined in laughing.

"Canary creams!" Fred shouted to the excitable crowd. "George and I invented them - seven sickles each, bargain!"

This is fun. I wonder what else they have in store for us!