𝙗𝙪𝙘𝙠𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙠

I left the dorm not long after that. Everyone was talking about the small fight that had just happened. I held my head high as I walked through the common room. Pansy was sitting with crabbe and goyle, her face bruised, but not badly. She scowled when she saw me. Her mouth started to move, no doubt talking bad about me. I winked at her, and blew her a kiss.

I started up to the gryffindor tower, ready to relax. My mind wandered back to how close draco and I were. Is it bad that I kinda liked it? I'm starting to think he likes me, too. Who am I kidding? He's only doing this because of the arrangement. How am I so stupid not to realize it?

I climbed through the portrait hole, and was immediately met with hermione, who had a note clutched in her hand.

"Mione, what's wrong?"

Her lower lip trembled. "I just got a letter from hagrid. He lost his case, and buckbeak is going to be executed."

My heart dropped. No, no, no, no, no. This can't be happening. "Okay, um, let's - let's find the boys, okay?"

I climbed back out of the portrait hole with hermione behind me. The security trolls frowned down upon us. Up ahead, both harry and ron were approaching. I really hope harry didn't get in trouble with snape.

"Come to have a good gloat?" Ron said to hermione when they stopped in front of us. "Or have you just been to tell on us."

I scoffed. "Come off it, ron."

"I just thought you ought to know..." her voice cracked. "Hagrid lost his case. Buckbeak is going to be executed. He - he sent me this." She held out the letter.

I walked over, and read it over harry's shoulder, since I didn't read it before. It was quite hard to make it out with all the smudged writing.

Dear hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him

back to hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.

Beaky has enjoyed london.

I won't forget all the help you gave us.

Hagrid.

"They can't do this." Harry said. "They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous."

I looked to my hands, ashamed for what my father did. "My father and lucius frightened the committee into it. None of you ever met my father, but you know what lucius is like. The committee is full of old fools, and they were scared. It's the only way hagrid could have lost his case."

Hermione wiped her eyes. "There'll be an appeal, though, there always is. Only I can't see any hope... nothing will have changed."

"Yeah, it will." Ron said fiercely. "You won't have to do all the work this time, hermione. I'll help."

I looked up to him confused. His attitude changed in a snap.

"Oh, ron!"

She threw her arms around his neck and broke down completely. Ron looked as confused, but eventually patted her back.

I went to stand next to harry and whispered to him, "How much do you wanna bet that they'll get together in the future?"

He chuckled softly. "Not going to happen, y/n."

Hermione drew away. "Ron, I'm really, really sorry about scabbers."

"Oh, well, he was old. And he was a bit useless. You never know, mum and dad might get me an owl now."

~

With the new safety measures imposed on the students, it was impossible for us to go and visit hagrid in the evenings. Our only chance to talk to him was during care of magical creatures lessons.

"'S all my fault. Got all tongue tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up fer me, hermione. An' then lucius malfoy and charles diore both stood up and did their bit," I felt absolutely horrible. "and the committee jus' did exac'ly what they told 'em."

"I'm so sorry about my father, hagrid."

"There was nothing you could've done, y/n."

"There's still the appeal!" Ron pointed out. "Don't give up yet, we're working on it!"

As we were walking back up to the castle, I could see draco, crabbe and goyle ahead of us. Draco kept laughing, and looking over his shoulder at hagrid. He made eye contact with me, and winked. I shook my head.

"'S no good, ron." Hagrid said sadly as we reached the castle steps. "That committee's in lucius malfoy's and charles diore's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that..."

He turned around, and hurried back to his cabin, his face buried in his handkerchief.

"Look at him blubber!" Someone said from behind me.

I looked over my shoulder, and saw draco, and his two goons standing just inside the doors.

"Have you ever seen anything quite as pathetic? And he's supposed to be our teacher!"

Hermione walked forward, and punched draco in the face. My jaw dropped. Did that just happen? I need an instant replay.

"Don't you dare call hagrid pathetic, you foul, loathsome, evil, little cockroach!"

Draco looked over to me, wondering if I was gonna stop her. Hermione went to slap him again, but I jumped between them, pushing on draco's chest.

"Go, just go."

"Come on." He muttered to crabbe and goyle.

"Hermione!" Ron gasped, sounding impressed.

"Harry, y/n, you'd better beat him in the quidditch final!" She said to us. "You just better had, because I can't stand it if slytherin wins!"

The next chapter will be the quidditch final, and y/n's parents will be coming to watch. How do you think it's gonna go?