𝘿.𝘼.𝘿.𝘼

I sat down at a desk, eager for our first DADA class with moody. Fred, george and xavier all said it was amazing. After hearing that, I just couldn't wait.

Draco sat his bag next to mine, looking at me if it was okay to sit next to me. I nodded my head once, and he slid into the seat beside me. I haven't really talked to him since the incident in his dorm. You could tell he felt guilty. He would keep staring at me, hoping to get a reaction out of me.

His hand suddenly found mine, and held it. "I'm sorry."

I looked down at our joined hands. "Yeah, you keep saying that. But I hardly think you actually mean it."

"I wasn't thinking-"

I scoffed. "You could've fooled me."

"Come on, y/n. I really am sorry."

I sighed. "Fine. Next time you do it again, I'm kneeing you where you really don't want to be kneed."

He smiled at me. "Understood."

I frowned. "Are you smiling because of the threat, or that I'm talking to you? Because if you're smiling because of the threat, something is wrong with you."

He chuckled. "No, it's because you're talking to me again."

He brought my hand up, and kissed the back of it. I rolled my eyes, and a small smile forced itself on my face.

I soon heard the clunking of professor moody's footsteps coming down the corridor. "You can put those away." He growled, stumping over to his desk.

I returned my book to my bag.

"Right then. I've had a letter from professor lupin about this class. Seems you've had a pretty thorough grounding in tackling dark creatures - you've covered boggarts, red caps, hinkypunks, grindylows, kappas and werewolves, is that right?"

A few of us murmured that it was correct.

"But you're behind - very behind - on dealing with curses." I shared a confused look with draco. "So I'm here to bring you up to scratch on what wizards can do to each other. I've got one year to teach you how to deal with dark-"

"What, aren't you staying?" Ron cut him off.

Moody's magical eye swiveled over to him. "You'll be arthur weasley's son, eh? Your father got me out of a very tight corner a few days ago... yeah, I'm staying just the one year. Special favor to dumbledore... one year, and then back to my quiet retirement." He kclapped his hands together. "So - straight into it. Curses. They come in many strengths and forms. Now, according to the ministry of magic, I'm supposed to teach you counter-curses and leave it at that. I'm not supposed to show you what illegal dark curses looks like until your in the sixth year. You're not supposed to be wold enough to deal with it until then. But professor dumbledore's got a higher opinion of your nerves, he reckons you can cope, and I say, the sooner you know what you're up against, the better. How are you supposed to defend yourself against something you've never seen? A wizard who's about to an illegal curse on you isn't going to yell to you what he's about to do. He's not going to do it nice and polite to your face. You need to be prepared. You need to be alert and watchful. You need to put that away, miss brown, when I'm talking."

I looked over to a red faced lavender. She had been showing parvati her horoscope under the table. Turns out moody's magical eye could see through solid wood, as well as out of the back of his head.

"So... do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by wizarding law?"

Well, I could think of a few, and I know draco could as well. We both seemed to have the same idea, and we kept our heads down.

Ron's hand slowly raised into the air. "My dad told me about one... is it called the imperius curse, or something?"

Moody smiled. "Ah, yes. Your father would know that one. Gave the ministry a lot of trouble at one time, the imperius curse."

Moody opened a glass jar that held three large spiders. He reached inside, caught one and held it in the palm of his hand. Seeing these spiders reminded me of aragog from my second year. He pointed his wand at the insect and muttered, "Imperio!"

The spider started to jump around everyone's heads. It's legs kicked everywhere as it floated above ron's head. Draco laughed loudly beside me. Moody saw his chance, and flung the spider on his face.

"Get it off! Get it off!" Draco panicked, hitting my arm to do so.

I almost fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. Moody brought the spider over to me, and I held my hand out. The little spider started to tap dance in my hand.

"Think it's funny, do you?" Moody growled. "You'd like it, would you, if I did it to you?"

All the laughter died almost instantly.

"Total control." He brought the spider back to him. "I could make it jump out of the window, drown itself, throw itself down one of your throats..." I gave an involuntary shudder. "Years back, there were a lot of witches and wizards being controlled by the imperius curse." I had a feeling he was talking about when the dark lord walked about. "Some job for the ministry, trying to sort out who was being forced to act, and who was acting of their own free will. The imperius curse can be fought, and I'll be teaching you how, but it takes real strength of character, and not everyone's got it. Better avoid being hit with it if you can."

He picked up the spider, and put it back in its jar. "Anyone else know one? Another illegal curse?"

To my surprise, little neville's hand raised into the air.

"There's one - the cruciatus curse." Neville said in a small voice.

"You're name's longbottom?"

Neville shook his head. Moody didn't ask any further questions. He walked back over to the jar for another spider, and placed it on the desktop.

"The cruciatus curse. Needs to be a bit bigger for you to get the idea." Moody pointed his wand at the spider. "Engorgio!"

The spider swelled. It was now larger than a tarantula.

Moody raised his wand again, and I don't think I was ready for this. He muttered the word 'Crucio', and the poor spider's legs bent in upon its body. It rolled over and started to twitch horribly. As I watched, my stomach started to turn. There wasn't a sound coming from it, but I'm sure if it was given a voice, it would be screaming.

"Stop it!" Hermione yelled.

I looked at her, but saw she was looking at neville instead of the spider. His eyes were wide and horrified, his hand clenched in front of him, showing white knuckles. I remember hearing about draco's aunt bellatrix torturing neville's parents to insanity.

Moody released the spider from the curse, and reduced it in size. "Pain. You don't need thumbscrews or knives to torture someone if you can perform the cruciatus curse... that one was very popular once, too. Right... anyone know any others?" He looked around the room, and no one said anything. "Diore."

My breathing caught in my throat. I looked up at him, too scared to speak. I forced my lips to form the words, "Avada kedavra."

Several people looked uneasily at me. Draco reached under the table, and squeezed my hand.

"Ah. Yes, the last and worst. Avada kedavra... the killing curse."

He replaced the tortured spider into the jar and grabbed another one. He walked over to my desk, and sat it down in front of me. I backed away as far as I could without leaving my seat.

"Avada kedavra!"

I jumped when a flash of blinding green light shot through the air. It connected with the spider, making it roll onto its back. Several of the other girls stifled cries while moody swept the dead spider onto the floor.

"Not nice. Not pleasant. And there's no counter curse. There's no blocking it. Only one known person has survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me."

My eyes traveled over to harry, who was getting red.

I don't think I like this class anymore.