𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙡 𝙩𝙖𝙨𝙠

I sat in front of the fire in the gryffindor common room, my forehead in my hands as I stared at my knees, not saying anything

I sat in front of the fire in the gryffindor common room, my forehead in my hands as I stared at my knees, not saying anything. Harry was telling us all about the dream he had about the dark lord, and everything, that he was in the pensieve in dumbledore's office. To say that I was scared is an understatement. I was absolutely terrified. I really hope all this is fake.

"Dumbledore reckons you know who's getting stronger as well?" Ron whispered. "And he trusts snape? He really trusts snape, even though he knows he was a death eater?"

"Yes." Harry answered.

"Rita skeeter." Hermione muttered.

"How can you be worrying about her now?" Ron said in disbelief.

"I'm not worrying about her." She said. "I'm just thinking... remember what she said to me in the three broomsticks? 'I know things about ludo bagman that would make your hair curl.' This is what she meant, isn't it? She reported his trial, she knew he'd pass the information to the death eaters. And winky, too, remember... 'Mr. bagman is a bad wizard.' Mr. crouch would have been furious if he got off, and he would have talked about it at home."

"Yeah, but bagman didn't pass information on purpose, did he?"

Hermione shrugged.

"And fudge reckons madame maxime attacked crouch?" Ron turned back to harry.

"Yeah," Harry said. "but he's only saying that because crouch disappeared near the beauxbatons carriage."

"We never thought of her, did we? Mind you, she's definitely got giant blood, and she doesn't want to admit it-"

"Of course she doesn't." I said, looking up, and pushing all my hair back. They boy's eyes went huge, but i ignored them. "Look what happened to hagrid when rita found out about his mother. Look at fudge, jumping to conclusions about her, just because she's part giant. Who needs that sort of prejudice? I'd probably say I had big bones if I knew that's what I'd get for telling the truth."

Hermione looked at her watch. "We haven't done any practicing!" She looked shocked. "We were going to do the impediment jinx! We'll have to really get down to it tomorrow! Come on, harry, you need to get some sleep."

"Okay." Harry nodded his head.

Ron and hermione went off to bed. I remained where I was on the floor, feeling harry's eyes on me.

"Go ahead, ask me how it happened. I know it's killing you just to find out." I met his gaze.

"What I'm wondering is, why did he do it?"

"It was my fault. I was the one who pushed him over the line."

"I thought he's supposed to protect you, not beat you?"

"Yeah, I thought so, too." I started to chew on my nails again. "I guess I'm a magnet for this sort of thing."

"What thing?"