𝙢𝙚𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙞𝙧𝙞𝙪𝙨

"Maybe I'll skive off divination

"Maybe I'll skive off divination." Harry said glumly. "I'll pretend to be ill and do snape's essay instead, then I won't have to stay up half the night."

I laughed at him. The four of us stood in the courtyard after lunch, the wind whipping at the hems of robes.

"You can't skive off divination." Hermione said.

"Hark who's talking, you walked out of divination, you hate trelawney!" Ron pointed out.

"You know, he has a point." I commented.

"I don't hate her." Hermione defended herself. "I just think she's an absolutely appalling teacher and a real old fraud. But harry's already missed history of magic and I don't think he ought to miss anything else today!"

There was too much truth in hermione's words to ignore, so half an hour later I joined harry as he ron and I took out seats in the hot, over perfumed atmosphere of the divination classroom. Professor trelawney was yet again handing out copies of the dream oracle.

Professor trelawney slammed a copy of the oracle down on the table between harry, ron and i and swept away, her lips pursed; she threw the next copy of the oracle at seamus and dean, narrowly avoiding seamus's head, and thrust the final one into neville's with such force that he slipped off his pouffe.

"Well, carry on!" Professor trelawney said loudly, her voice high-pitched and somewhat hysterical. "You know what to do! Or am I such a sub-standard teacher that you have never learned how to open a book?"

I stared perplexedly at her, then at each the boys on either side of me.

Harry leaned forward and dropped his voice. "I think she's got the results of her inspection back."

"You don't say." I whispered back.

"Professor?" Parvati patil said in a hushed voice. "Professor, is there anything - er - wrong?"

"Wrong!" Professor trelawney cried in a voice throbbing with emotion. "Certainly not! I have been insulted, certainly...insinuations have been made against me...unfounded accusations leveled...but no, there is nothing wrong, certainly not!"

She took a great shuddering breath and looked away from parvati, angry tears spilling from under her glasses.

"I say nothing," She choked. "of sixteen years of devoted service...it has passed, apparently, unnoticed...but I shall not be insulted, no, I shall not!"

"But, professor, who's insulting you?" I asked timidly.

"The establishment! Yes, those with eyes too clouded by the mundane to see as I see, to know as I know...of course, we seers have always been feared, always persecuted...it is - alas - our fate."

She gulped, dabbed at her wet cheeks with the end of her shawl, then she pulled a small embroidered handkerchief from her sleeve, and blew her nose very hard with a sound like peeves blowing a raspberry.