Chapter 28

"Hi, Chris," Layla said as she and Sophia walked into the backyard.

"Hey, Layla and Sophia." I walked over to them.

"Here's a present and card we got for you." Layla hands them to me.

"Thanks."

"Are we the last ones here?" Sophia asked.

"No. We still need Brian and Seth."

"Okay." Sophia looks over my shoulder. "There's Kalani, Michelle, Tristan, and Spencer." She walks over to them while Layla walks over to our friends.

I looked back at the door, hoping to see Brian and Seth show up—but mostly Brian. I wonder what's taking them so long. It's now quarter after eleven, and I'm starting to think maybe they're not coming

I smiled when I saw them coming through the back door. I ran up to them. "What took you guys so long?" I asked.

"Sorry, we lost track of time," Seth said. He gives me two presents. "Here you go." He walks over to our friends, who are talking to Jackson, Katherine, Natalia, and Shaun, leaving me and Brian alone. We both just stood there, staring at each other.

"Hey," I finally managed to say.

"Hey," he blushed and looked down at the ground.

"How's it going?" I asked.

"Pretty good." He looks over my shoulder. "Who are those guys with your friends?"

I looked back at my new friends talking to my old friends before looking back at him. "My cousin Natalia and our friends Jackson, Shaun, and Katherine."

"Are they nice?" he asked.

"Yeah, they are. Come on. They're dying to meet you." I took him by the arm and brought him over to my group of friends. "Natalia, Shaun, Jackson, and Katherine, this is Brian."

"Hi." Brian waved to them.

"Oh my." Katherine's face turned red and she looked down at the ground.

"Hi," Natalia said, blushing.

"Nice to meet you," Shaun said.

Seth leans over to me. "Do these two girls know Brian's gay?"

"Yeah," I said. "It's not their fault your brother's hot."

"Don't say that to me," he groaned.

"So when's lunch?" Austen asked.

"Is food all you ever think about, Austen?" Paul asked.

"I'm a big boy. I needed food," Austen said.

"Not til noon," I said.

"Then why the fuck the party started at eleven?" Tristan asked as he, Kalani, Sophia, and Michelle walked over to us.

"Watch your mouth, Tristan! There are kids here!" Kalani said.

"Sorry," Tristan said.

"I don't know why. My mom was the one who planned all of this," I said.

"Then what are we supposed to do until then?" Michelle asked.

"I don't know. Hang out?" I said.

"And be bored? I don't think so," Xavier said.

"We can play music," Mariah said, who came to us with Sarah in her arms.

"On what?" Seth asked.

"I think we have speakers somewhere in the basement. Here." Mariah gives Sarah to me and walks into the house. She came back out a few minutes later with a speaker. "Here. Now all we need is a phone."